Georgia and Russia at war.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

so why do not investing on alternatives of oil ? theres ethanol, theres biodiesel, theres that new tech, the hidrogen...

Current US administration is not interested in developing alternative sources of energy. If Bush and Cheney can personally benefit from high oil prices why bother looking for alternatives.

This is how they end up in Iraq. If Iraq fails, Cheney's Halliburton puts its hands on Iraqy's oil. If the war continues and oil price is going up, Bush's family is pumping Texas oil and profits from there. It's a win win situation.

Sounds wonderful. Now let's see this gem of an energy source harvested and processed without gov't intervention.

If it was such an abundant energy wonder, private industry would have lobbied for tax breaks and begun the process.

Me? I say BS. Not with the currentn energy market. Just like wind, solar and geothermal, the market does not support it.

Current US administration is not interested in developing alternative sources of energy. If Bush and Cheney can personally benefit from high oil prices why bother looking for alternatives.

This is how they end up in Iraq. If Iraq fails, Cheney's Halliburton puts its hands on Iraqy's oil. If the war continues and oil price is going up, Bush's family is pumping Texas oil and profits from there. It's a win win situation.

Current Russian Politburo is not interested in developing alternative sources of energy. If Putin and Medvedev can personally benefit from high oil prices why bother looking for alternatives.

This is how they end up in Chechnya and Georgia. If Chechnya and Georgia fails, Putin's Gazprom puts its hands on the Caucacus' oil pipelines. If the war continues and oil price is going up, Putin's crony's are pumping Russian oil and profits from there. It's a win win situation.

Hmmm... smells like BS

Attachments

• smells_like_bullshit.jpg
    smells_like_bullshit.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 89
Matt, what are you talking about? How much oil is in Chechnya and Georgia? None. It doesnt exist. All chechen oil was pumped out in early 70th. All Caucasian oil reserves is less then 1% of what Russia has in Siberia and on the Far East.

Russia is preparing for 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi. That city is less then 50 miles from the border with Georgia. A war in that region is the last thing that Russia wants.

I have read all ten pages then this nothing to do with the conflict then back to biofuels and GW please.Not that I have a right to harp but someone just tried to derail the train.
Now Jug the part about SO wanting there independence because they are Russian citizens "hay move to Russia".This no different than if Canadians started pouring into some N state and wanted it annexxed to Canada(I know not apples to apples) it isn't going to happen.Like many in here I am interested in how much planning by both sides happened here.I wonder how Russis got supposedly 100's of tanks across the border in such short time with troop support??Something is afoot probably by both parties but I do not trust Putin one ioda.

Matt, what are you talking about? How much oil is in Chechnya and Georgia? None. It doesnt exist. A war in that region is the last thing that Russia wants.

Its not about how much oil Chechnya nor Georgia has. But rather the instability in the Caucacus region where ENERGY FLOWS THROUGH THE CASPIAN TO WORLD MARKETS.

Russia can ill afford for those regions to be instable given that Russia's only real commodity on the world market is their oil. Remember, we are talking about trillions of rubles over the course of time. Even a percentage of a percentage is HUGE money that Russia can ill afford to be jeopardized.

That is what I'm talking about, stasiod.

Current Russian Politburo is not interested in developing alternative sources of energy. If Putin and Medvedev can personally benefit from high oil prices why bother looking for alternative

Russia plans to build 42 new nuclear reactors by 2030 as part of an ambitious program to revive its atomic power industry, the top nuclear official said Tuesday.

Federal Nuclear Agency director Sergei Kiriyenko said at a news conference that Russia would need to build at least two nuclear reactors a year to meet the goal.

Russia now has 31 reactors at 10 nuclear power plants, accounting for 16-17 percent of Russia's electricity generation, and President Vladimir Putin has called for raising the share to 25 percent.

NEI Nuclear Notes: Russia to Build 42 New Reactors by 2030

I agree with javlin - it's going off topic. Let's return to humanitarian crisis in South Ossetia.

I agree with javlin - it's going off topic. Let's return to humanitarian crisis in South Ossetia.

Those were your words. Just the innocent were changed.

I too can post US politicos that are pushing for nuclear power. In fact, Obama wants to to wean the US completely off of oil in his "lifetime" (I assume that is 8yrs of presidency).

So back to the topic. Not that you can separate the topic from world events. I think that was the point of our tangent. :rolleyes:

Yep. But to date, world economy is such that they are not cost/benefit effectual. But that does not mean they are not being invested in. Jug, your economy is MUCH different than the US and thus ethanol is not a viable alternative for the majority of US needs. In fact, it has been proven that substituting food crops for ethanol actually has dire consequences for the world.

i think its not about quit the oil and adopt just ethanol, or just biodiesel. i think the key is work with many kinds of fuel.

its the old theory of "all eggs in one basket". you drop the basket you broke all eggs. but if you put some eggs in one basket and other in another, if you drop just one basket, you still have a omellete for dinner.

if all industry, all veichles uses gasoline, the economy would be strongly dependent of the barrel prices, intead if you combine diferent fuels and have cars that work with ethanol, or biodiesel, or gasoline, or natural gas. it gives to economy a certain and relative independence of the price of barrel.

If they could grow sugarcane, they could grow food. Both are a commodity that is not available and is causing the death of millions in Africa. Your idea is not realistic.

sugar cane is a tropical plant, also its not that expensive to grow. the only problem that brazil faced in 90´s was the hight of refined sugar price wich leds producers to quit the ethanol production and almost kill the pro-alcool program.

you dont need to pick a country and fill with suggar cane. you pick 1/10 of lands of angola, for example and cultivates sugar cane on that. then with the money that angola receives they can modernize their production systems and invest in produce more food for their own people.

the problem of hunger in africa is not lands, they have lands enought to cultivate food, and let lions and other animals lives. the problem is investments and jobs.

Perhaps, but with crops forced (socio-economically) to be used for ethanol has been proven to result in additional world hunger by driving food prices up. Especially when supported by gov't subsides at the expense of not growing cheap food for the masses. And decreasing pollution?? You can't really believe that unless you are not subject to the US emission requirements. In the US, emissions are at such low levels compared with other world economies that air pollution is not near the levels that you might predict. That even holds true for the US black dog city of Los Angeles. Compared to Bejing, Los Angeles is a vacation spot with respect to air pollution.

I think your "decrease in pollution metropolis" statement is balderdash.

diferences about crop and cane:

the amount of ethanol that you get from a sugar cane plantation is bigger than crop for example.

a ton of crop, could make 380 litres of ethanol
a ton of sugar cane, just 70 litres

but the great diference is the produtivity of sugar cane instead ethanol. in fact the amount of areas of sugar cane are small, but you can cultivate more times in a year.

one hec. of sugar cane plantation, generates around 60 to 120 tons of cane. one hec of corn plantation generates 10 tons of corn.

so, the production of ethanol by hectare of suggar cane is is 8.000 litres, against 4.000 litres of corn.

the problem of corn ethanol is also that you have to broke the molecules of amido to create sugar. in sugar cane the process is direct. the sugar is there is just make the fermentation, wich is a natural process. the process of extract ethanol from corn is more expensive than sugar cane. sugar cane is cheaper and cleaner.

how many sugar cane could be cultivated in 8 or 10 african nations, without harm their local agriculture to suply usa and europe with the actual amount of ethanol that is used today ? and usa would keep free the corn for other purposes instead fuel.

there was proved that the high of prices of food is because people in all world are improving their lifes, specially in china. they are eating more and more diverse. theres lands in world to supply food for everybody. but using with windson. otherwise, ethanol wouldnt be the diference. there was hunger before ethanol, should be after, because theres economy issues and theres lack of investiments in certain regions of globe like africa.

about the air pollution: ethanol is zero. if the american emission requirements are low levels, the ethanol would reduce even more the pollution in great metropolis. isnt that bad ? you cand be safe your economy from the barrel prices, you can develop a poor region, u are polluting less the air in great metropolis

matt, i dont think ethanol is the final solution, but while tey dont develops eficient urine-fueled engines... i think ethanol is quite good for brazil and for everybody else !

regards

Yes dual citizenship is one thing. The way this seems though is that Russia was handing out the citizenships like candy to gain a foothold back in Georgia.

this story is very interesting indeed. In fact the South Ossetians never had a Georgian citizenship , only the Soviet one - after 1993 conflict they were citizens of an nonexisting state. They struggled for the independence from Georgia so the Georgian citizenship as a possible alternative wasn't been discussed at all. After all , most of South Ossetians have very close ties with North Ossetia which is part of the Russia so they choosed the Russian citizenship.

Current Russian Politburo is not interested in developing alternative sources of energy. If Putin and Medvedev can personally benefit from high oil prices why bother looking for alternatives.
about 8 billion rubels are planned to invest in alternative sources of energy this year. It's actually just slightly less than investments into explorations of new oil and gas fields.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back