Girls and Aircraft - Volume II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both my girls like to fly,
I'll encourage butL never push them.
Lucky little angels, growing up in the sky! I had to learn to fly in secret, the only way I could buck my parents' disapproval. Presented with a fait acompli, there wasn't much they could say when I showed up on their doorstep in a 172 flown all the way from NAS Memphis to Vermont.
Cheers,
Wes

Last edited:
Interesting. You wouldn't think that would be the case.
She was the Queen at that time, but she didn't marry the future king but his younger brother Albert. They became King and Queen with the abdication of Edward VIII. She was from an aristocratic family but was not keen on royal life. Since she loved a drink of gin and a bet on the horses in different circumstances she would probably have been a real party animal like her daughter Margaret, or the women who have/will marry the "spare" in recent times Sarah Ferguson and Megan Markle.

Good for her.When I was in middle school, the girls had a reputation for the ability to beat the crap out of the boys at our school and the boys were tough.
At that age the girls are in their final growth spurt, the boys are still little boys, and back in the day, the hormones hadn't completely taken over yet. It's different now. At school I see girls coming into seventh grade with fully developed chests and all the behaviors that go with that, while the boys are mostly still bewildered little kids.
Cheers,
Wes

You are correct. It does take we boys longer to catch on

My bad as there was some misinformation in the photos I was looking at before. I did some more research and she was indeed quite a pilot. It would seem though that there is some debate as to whether or not she died or survived the war. I would hope that it was the latter.

I agree. We can agree on one thing without further research, she is a beautiful young lady.

That is Lydia Vladimirovna, the "White Rose of Stalingrad" not Olga S.
Lydia Litvyak. Vladimirovna (daughter of Vladimir) is a middle name/family position label kind of like the tendency in Western cultures to give a middle name that reflects the mother's family. Or so my russophile friends tell me. First female fighter ace in history. Twelve acknowledged solo kills and four (+or-) shared kills. Her tally includes two Luftwaffe "Experten".
Wes

Last edited:
Caption just says "Corpus Christi PBY, August 1942"

EDIT: from the Wiki..."Mrs. Eloise J. Ellis has been appointed by civil service to be senior supervisor in the Assembly and Repairs Department at the Naval Air Base, Corpus Christi, Texas. She buoys up feminine morale in her department by arranging suitable living conditions for out-of-state employees and by helping them with their personal problems."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread