Gliders Photos

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good stuff. Coincidentally, I had planned to go to the lake District this week, to get some 'scenic' photos, but I'm too darned stiff and sore to drive !

Nice shots.
It's a place where I have spent a lot of time, both walking and driving 'off road', with the walking being mainly 'off the beaten track'.
Sadly, the arthritis prevents my doing this these days, but I can confirm that the weather can be very, shall we say, 'changeable', often to the detriment of those unprepared.

Now for a total change of period (and quality). Unfortunately during a house move I lost a lot of photos but here are a few from 1974 when I was on HMS Tiger. The shots are old and taken with an instamatic, then stored in a sticky back plastic album, which hasn't done them any favours.
First her 6in Turret

Next the Turret firing. It was seriously impressive as she scored a direct hit on the towed target with her second shell. The vibration of being so close to the turret when it was firing about 40 rpm was incredible as can be seen in the photo. The mess I was in was around the turret bustle and when we went back after the shoot there was a hell of a mess..

Last edited:
That was before my time, these were taken in 1973/4.

A Sea King on deck

Sea King Pulling away

She also carried a 3in mount which is shown picking up the target

What happened next made us jump. The 3in was firing at the target when the target passed behind the ship. The gun kept tracking the target and resumed firing when it cleared the superstructure. The result you can see while we put a lot of faith into the safety's. What do they say about never looking down the barrel of a loaded weapon!!

My final photo's re the holiday showing some of the local culture in the fair and a coastal shot.
Hand carved walking sticks / shepherds crooks

One for the American Members

Brass bands are a feature of life in close knit communities within the UK, in particular farming and mining. Colliery Brass Bands in particular, are often of a professional standard. This one is more common, a local town band with a huge difference in the age range.

The Sea. Parts of the Lake District are close to the sea and the photo was taken on the last day when the weather was turning, you can see the storm on its way

Users who are viewing this thread