GrauGeist's Photos

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys!

The Hummingbird shot could have come out a bit better, but those rascals are so dang quick, they fall out of range fast!

This is the time of year we get the real cool clouds with the moon, and last night was no exception. I tried to do an exposure that captured the clouds as well as keeping the moon from washing the photo out. I've found that if there is a chance of a cloud moving across the face of the moon (hopefully a thin cloud) then you have a fairly good shot at it. There's more clouds out tonight, so perhaps I can try for more!

Attachments

• IMGP8061-rs.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 79
Seems like time is just flying by...

I did get in a little photography the past couple days, though. Seeing as how Aaron has some real nice landscapes back in his neck of the woods, I thought I'd get a few scenic shots yesterday down by the river. One of the unique things about the city of Redding, is that the Sacramento river runs right through the middle of town, so one doesn't have to travel but a few minutes to get to it. I really should get down there more often.

I also took the camera to work and grabbed some shots out in the field at lunch. Came up with some nice shots, including some butterflies working thier tails off before they run out of nice weather.

IMG 1: Acmon Blue - wingspan on this little guy is about 1"
IMG 2: Buckeye Brushfoot - bad angle on this shot, but it was the best of the Buckeyes
IMG 3: Skipper - These little guys aren't that big, but man are they fast!
IMG 4: Old Bonnyview Ferry crossing, long since replaced with a bridge.
IMG 5: Old road leading to the Ferry. Now serves as an access road to the boat ramp.

Attachments

• IMGP8215-rs.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMGP8210-rs.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMGP8186-rs.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMGP8169-cr.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 60
  • IMGP8144-cr.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 55
Thanks Eric!

But would you believe that's actually the Sacramento river?

That's the stretch where it doglegs to the east after heading south out of town. Super calm conditions and a moderate rain a few days before made it very placid (still very swift current, though).

Here's a map that shows how it winds it's way out of south Redding, the arrow shows where I took the shot.

Attachments

• bonnyview_marked.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 58
Stunning !

To quote Will Smith in Independance Day "I have got to get me one of these !", yup, a decent lens !!!

Thanks Gary, but nothing special about the lense I used on either the butterflies or the river, they were all shot with my Pentax 18-55...

Thanks Aaron, I rarely get out to do any real area photographs, and I should make a point of doing it more often...I think the furthest I've travelled for any photographs this year, was the far side of town for the airshow...

Thanks, glad you're enjoying them!

I actually got a few more scenic shots this evening when I had to run a few errands. I thought about bringing the camera with me, because I had to go right by Churn Creek...glad I did, I'll post the shots in a while

* Wow...huge electrical storm passed through right after I posted this...

Anyway, I wasn't too happy with the way the creek photos came out, there was a thunderstorm rolling in, which created some weird light shadows...

The upside was, I was able to score some more lightning shots, even though I missed the best (and brightest) bolts, these did come out nice.

I'm also using a little bit different technique now, instead of shooting blind for two seconds, I'm using a setting that's much like a manual release...so as long as I hold the release, the shutter stays open. I think the photos came out better than the last bunch I shot

IMG 1: Churn Creek (South-East area of Redding)
IMG 2: Lightning
IMG 3: More Lightning
IMG 4: And you guessed it: Lightning

Attachments

• IMGP8239-rs.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 91
  • IMGP8247-rs.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 83
  • IMGP8251-rs.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 87
  • IMGP8252-cr.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 86