Greatest Modern Bomber

The Greatest Modern Bomber

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Seems the B1B cost was about $383 million, so I'll take 10 Tornados and stuff the mission - I mean the bad guys only have to be lucky once to shoot down the B1B but it's unlikely they'll get lucky ten times

You need ten Tornados to actually hit the target, unless you plan on sending Bucaneers with them to pin-point the target just like the RAF did in the Gulf. At least when buying a B-1, you're 90% sure it's going to come out of the factory working.

Why buy a Tornado, or ten, when you can buy F-15s for a cheaper price and they're better...

You also forget the B1B is also a nuke penetrator bomber.

If I was going to attack a heavily defended target, deep in Russian territory in a nuke war, I will take the B1 over the tornado anytime.

syscom3 said:

If I was going to attack a heavily defended target, deep in Russian territory in a nuke war, I will take the B1 over the tornado anytime.
Agree - it also has double the countermeasures

syscom3 said:

Agree - it also has double the countermeasures

syscom3 said:

Indeed, you certainly would want to use a B-1 in that situation but I do not believe the B-1 has a nuclear mission any more. You really, really would want to take a B-2.

And the oft quoted $380M price tag, like that quoted for the B-2, includes ground infrastructure, spares, maintenance, etc. It is used as a means of unfairly comparing fly away costs of a single airplane vs that including recurring costs over the lifetime of the airframe. As once said by a famous American writer, "Lies. Damn lies. And statistics."

And while not the "best", certainly one of my all time favorites the B-58 Hustler.

Attachments

• B58Hustler.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 110
but I do not believe the B-1 has a nuclear mission any more.

Excuse me while I roll over and die from laughing so bleeding hard.

It is just like sex.

You have to penetrate to dominate.

Thus the mission is still there.

Users who are viewing this thread