Hawker Typhoon Mk Ib Italeri 1/48

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ajcmac

Airman 1st Class
Aug 29, 2009
Vila Real
This was the last model purchased. I want to make one of the D-Day schemas.

I have had many difficulties in finding photos of the models proposed by Italeri :?::?:. The scheme I intend to do is the Box-Art and my question relates to the use of three or four propeller blades. It is also seen clearly the propeller hub painted red. Interestingly Italeri indicates the Dark Earth -Italeri acrylic paint 4303 / F.S. 30118.

The box with the scheme I intend to do.

Typhoon 001.jpg

Someone can help me undo my doubts?

My thanks.

Regards

ajcmac

Interesting that the box art has also been shown as a 198 Squadron plane as shown below:

ITA2734.jpg

A Dark Earth spinner would be very unusual and, if the plane on your box does depicts TP-J of 198 Squadron (pure speculation here), then I'd bet on a red spinner. The serial number of this rig, if it existed, would be useful to have. Here's a pic of 123 Wing Commander Brooker's aircraft which depicts a similar display of the aircraft code. This machine had a red spinner with a yellow spiral.

HawkerTyphoonMarkIBMN570BwithsevenmoreTyphoonsofNo198SquadronRAFonasortieovertheNormandybeachhea.jpg

At this point I can't offer anything to suggest a 3 or 4 bladed prop.

Thanks Andy. Wasn't sure which squadron to look for so based on the aircraft banking away we'll go with the assumption it's a 198sqn. I think I saw a "J" aircraft with a s/n starting with JP.

Geo

i am doing "B" in the picture Andy posted with the same kit and i am going wih red for the spinner, at least 3 artists have painted "B" and all have done the spinner red so they might be onto something ?

what is the seriel number of "J" as i have a guide to which Typhoon was built with what prop and wether it had large or small tail planes (the kit only supplies small) it is not exact as retro fits were common but it is a start !

Thank you for your answers :thumbright:.

As I said I participate in several forums but this is, for me, the best to search for answers to our questions.

Regards

ajcmac

JP916 was with 55 OTU, don't say from what date, on the 14th of January '45, W/O W. L. Lang suffered an engine failure and force landed 2 miles east of Aston Down....

No idea of a/c code....

JP916 was with 55 OTU, don't say from what date, on the 14th of January '45, W/O W. L. Lang suffered an engine failure and force landed 2 miles east of Aston Down....

No idea of a/c code....
Chris Thomas on brit modeller posted this.
I note I was wrong about the choice of 247 Sqn Typhoon. ZY-Y was MN363 on DDay and has been illustrated in profile, apparently based on Mike Bowyer's description in 'Fighting Colours'; no photos have come to light. It certainly had a large tailplane and according to MFJB it had a 4-blader.

As for the two 609 Sqn machines ... PR-M was MN131 not MN130 ( serial shown in Warpaint No5 was a typo; correct serial shown in 2ndTAF vol 1). It had a small tailplane and a 3-blader.

Not sure about the provenance of PR-J. There was only one Typhoon with a JP*16 serial on DDay and that was JP916, which was definitely with 181 Sqn as EL-C. However if it had a JP serial it would have had the small tailplane and a 3-blader.

So, if historical accuracy is your bag, PR-M, with a bit of serial juggling, would be your best bet.
Chris

I want to thank, a bit late I know :oops: , all the assistance provided.

I decided to start the model despite not having the paint scheme chosen.

I do not know if I'll make a model that has participated in D-Day but if you do it with the model schema indicated by Crimea_River. Only one that offers a minimum guarantee that is correct.

I glued the wings.

Typhoon 006.jpg

Typhoon 007.jpg

I glued the parts of the fuselage and fix lines.

Typhoon 004.jpg

Typhoon 005.jpg

After a test fitting Wings and fuselage fit well but when joined wings with the fuselage did not please me much. Some extra work in the union of the wings with the fuselage.

Typhoon 008.jpg

Typhoon 009.jpg

Typhoon 010.jpg

Regards

ajcmac

After a while I decided to move forward.

Finished interior, Missing only glue the seat belts.

Typhoon 013.jpg

Typhoon 014.jpg

Typhoon 015.jpg

Typhoon 017.jpg

Typhoon 018.jpg

Typhoon 019.jpg

I painted the wells and the doors of the landing gear, landing gear and wheels with aluminum Alclad.

Typhoon 020.jpg

Typhoon 023.jpg

Typhoon 024.jpg

Typhoon 030.jpg

I already have the fuselage and wings glued but still have no photos. I'm sanding brands of cola.

Following completion of the painting wheels and the propeller.

Regards

ajcmac

Sure is. Note, though, that the upper part of the cockpit walls were painted matt black, as was the head armour and rear decking, whilst the lower section was Cockpit Grey-Green, with the tubular frames and heel boards in 'Aluminium' paint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back