Hello from England

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Readie

Chief Master Sergeant
Apr 15, 2011
Plymouth, England
Hello, I'm John from Plymouth.
I love piston engineed aircraft and my two favourites are Merlin engined Spitfires and Bristol Centaurus engined Hawker Sea Fury's.
Power and Grace.
I have recently brought an engine part from R6897 which I'm researching to try and find a picture..there must be one somewhere :lol:
Cheers
John

Thanks guys, all around the world.
I'm lucky enough to have seen Ray Hanna flying MH434 over my native Kent.
A very emotive experiance.
Cheers
John

Hello John, and welcome to the asy...forum. ;)

Here's what I found online about your Spit part:
Link: production page 019
Serial: AB847
Mark: Vb
Factory: CBAF
Eng: M45
9MU 27-7-41 92S 'QJ-V' 21-8-41 ASTE 6-12-41 411S 20-8-42 air collision with R6897 crashed Alby Lincs CAC 5-9-42 SOC CE 28-1-43.

User 5bR6897 on this forum might know more.
Here's what he wrote about his username:
"serial number R6897 and coded DB*Z. Flown by my uncle with 411 RCAF.
Written off in Jan 43 mid air with Spit AB847 killing my uncle...P.O. Gilbert Frederick Brown/Toronto, Ont.
I would also appreciate any additional info that anyone might have on his incident or my uncle."
I also found this PDF-file: http://vbd.webpark.pl/spitfireI_II_pl.pdf
Whether or not the data listed is correct or not, I don't know.

Cheers from me in Denmark. :)

Maria.

Last edited:
Welcome and greetings from Poland.

And another info I found here : http://www.ody.ca/~bwalker/RAF_owned_w9999.html

R 6897 Supermarine Spitfire Mk. I / V Delivered to 6 MU on 7 July 1940, fitted with cannon wing. Converted to Mk. V on 23 February 1941. Served with No. 411 (F) Squadron, RCAF, from 20 November 1942, coded "DB*Z". Still with this unit on 28 January 1943, when it was destroyed in mid-air with AB847, over Alby, Lincolnshire.

Also there is something mentioned : http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?4010-Spitfire-collision-28-January-1943

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies and helpfull links.
Nice to be part of a forum that welcomes new people.
'proper job' as we say in the south west:D
There is a Spitfire ( static) at RAF Harrowbeer, Yelverton, Devon soon and...with a bit of luck I may just be allowed to sit in the cockpit.
I'm 6' 5" so it will be a squeeze :shock:
Cheers
John

Hi John and welcome to the family.

Plymouth is my home-town allthough I havent lived there for a number of years...errr...47 or there-abouts !

Likewise, I agree with you ref Ray. You havent seen a Spittie display unless you've seen 'The Master' at work in MH434. Sadly gone but not forgotten.

And getting to sit in a Spit' at your size...hmmmm, I think you'll find it 'cosy', especially if you happen to have period flying gear to wear at the same time. Certainly, from experience, I'm a tad under 5'9 and it causes me no end of hassle when I'm trying to shoe-horn myself into the back of Tony's (Rocketeers) Spit to help with rivetting, usually followed with bouts of Tourets when I kneel on a dropped rivet !:)

If...and it is an if I fit into the Spitfire cockpit (without flying gear) I'll post a pic.
Thanks again for the friendly welcome
Cheers
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back