Hitler house sale alarms locals

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

If we completely forget what the Nazi's were, how will we recognize it when it appears again (in any form)? Remember the Nazis, not out of respect for them and what they stood for, although they did do some good in the midst of the horrors, but rather as a warning to future generations to guard against the worst that resides within Mankind.

The nazis will not be forgotten. The mongols weren't, neither were any invading armies that ravaged Europe and the world since Caen slew Abel. Hitler was the last of a long line of Germanic warlords.

On first impulse - get rid of it. But after contemplating the points made by Chris and Marcel, I agree it should be used for something positive. Maybe not so drastic as a synagogue but something that reflects all the other races and nationalities that suffered the same fate as the Jews although on a not so horrible a scale.

I say this with the greatest respect, and not meaning to offend anyone, but anything that acknowledges or glorifies the nazis, and in particular, Hitler, is totally unnacceptable to me.

Show me how this house or any other Third Reich building in existance today is doing any of those things.

I guess we should tear down the building I am sitting in right now. It was built for the Luftwaffe in 1937. I guess we need to tear down this whole US Army Airfield. It was a Luftwaffe airfield. I am sure someone in the world will find something offensive about that.

You all should visit Haus am Wannsee if you get the chance. It's near Berlin. It was host to the infamous Wansee conferenz where the nazi's plotted their annihilation of the Jews and other unwanted elements. Better than being demolished it is now open for public. The exhibition there is sobering and impressive. The records in their cold distant language really makes you think.

http://www.ghwk.de/engl/kopfengl.htm

Show me how this house or any other Third Reich building in existance today is doing any of those things.

I guess we should tear down the building I am sitting in right now. It was built for the Luftwaffe in 1937. I guess we need to tear down this whole US Army Airfield. It was a Luftwaffe airfield. I am sure someone in the world will find something offensive about that.

The potential for the house of Hitlers birthplace to become a shrine or focal point for the nutters that still believe he was the new messiah is very real.

The question originally posted was what to do with Hitlers childhood home. It was nothing to do with all of the other building constructed and legacies left by the regime.

I dont think anything should be done to those buildings. Hitlers birthplace, however, is a special case. I dont agree that buildings, places, symbols are not important. Of course we should not forget our own symbols, our freedoms, our institutions that formed the basis of our victory. But we should also never allow the symbols of the enemy to gain any traction whatsover. Thats why we should totally obliterate the direct and personal memories of Hitler. They serve no significant purpose, their history is overshadowed by the curse Hitler put on the world, and the potential for them to do great harm by acting as a symbol or shrine by neo-nazis is too great to risk.

The potential for the house of Hitlers birthplace to become a shrine or focal point for the nutters that still believe he was the new messiah is very real.

It was never used as shrine before, with the right precautions (the same kinds that are used with all other places throughout Germany, Austria and Europe) and nothing will happen. There is no reason to believe that this would happen here, if it has not already happened at places like the Eagles Nest, etc..

Should we burn down the house that the Jefferson Davis lived in?

Exactly... it's treated like a shrine but i think it deserves to stand:

Jeff Davis's house:
Home

although I've been to civil war re-enactments there and it was bizarre watching the crowd cheer as union troops were "shot" and "defeated in battle" by re-enactors.

Hitler House?

I'd like to see it turned into a gay bar or bagel shop.... something Adolf would disapprove of...

Last edited:
Jeff Davis and Hitler cannot even be compared.

On a global sense I agree but I believe its relevant only because for many Jeff Davis symbolizes the South, slavery and hundreds of years of oppression. His house still stands and is revered by many.

I dont think there was any direct comparison between the two,,, just that each is connected with historical dwellings of famous people that have diametrically opposed followers.

It was never used as shrine before, with the right precautions (the same kinds that are used with all other places throughout Germany, Austria and Europe) and nothing will happen. There is no reason to believe that this would happen here, if it has not already happened at places like the Eagles Nest, etc..

I hope you are right. But this smacks of the Sudetenland for me....sacrifice the few to protect the majority....and it was the thin edge of the wedge in hindsight. When the rights of one individual are compromised we all suffer, and in Hitlers case the rights of millions were attacked.

I worry that this will lead to some form of nazi revival. It starts with something like "we should acknowldege the good things that Hitler did, as well as the bad" progresses through to "we should honour the German dead who fell in the name of the fatherland. Then we will start to get a push for a National holiday to celebrate the battle of stalingrad, progressing through to holocaust denial, or the shared responsibility for war guilt. All the while the Nazis are re-establishing their power bases in the respective European parliaments....probably starting in places like Serbia or Russia, and before we know it, we have the nightmare on our doorstep once again.

I subscribe to Churchills approach...zero toloerance for tyranny and zero accommodation for the sensibilities of the criminals that are the Nazis.

On a global sense I agree but I believe its relevant only because for many Jeff Davis symbolizes the South, slavery and hundreds of years of oppression. His house still stands and is revered by many.

I dont think there was any direct comparison between the two,,, just that each is connected with historical dwellings of famous people that have diametrically opposed followers.

Exactly.

I hope you are right. But this smacks of the Sudetenland for me....sacrifice the few to protect the majority....and it was the thin edge of the wedge in hindsight. When the rights of one individual are compromised we all suffer, and in Hitlers case the rights of millions were attacked.

How does the Sudetenland compare to a house???

parisifal said:
I worry that this will lead to some form of nazi revival. It starts with something like "we should acknowldege the good things that Hitler did, as well as the bad"

No on in Germany does that. No one does that because of any Third Reich buildings still standing. Why would this one? Besides if it were to happen, it already would have. It has been 64 years since the end the war. This house has not harmed anyone.

I think you are over analyzing this.

parisifal said:
progresses through to "we should honour the German dead who fell in the name of the fatherland.

Germans should be allowed to do that. Just because someone was in the Wehrmacht does not make them a Nazi. A soldier fights for his country. There is no reason why German soldiers should not be honored by there countryman. It does not mean that you agree with the Nazi party or the holocaust.

Not even a 2 minute walk from my house is a monument for the soldiers from the town that I live in. It lists the names of the soldiers and the date that they were killed on, as well as the ones that are missing and the date they went missing on. Is that wrong? Should the town be punished for honoring the fallen?

My Grandfather was a Major in the Wehrmacht. He was an honorable soldier. I honor his service, just the same way that I honor the service of my American Grandfather who served in the US Army and landed in Normandy in 1944. Does that make me or my family Nazi sympathizers or something like that?

parisifal said:
Then we will start to get a push for a National holiday to celebrate the battle of stalingrad, progressing through to holocaust denial, or the shared responsibility for war guilt. All the while the Nazis are re-establishing their power bases in the respective European parliaments....probably starting in places like Serbia or Russia, and before we know it, we have the nightmare on our doorstep once again.

I don't think that you give enough credit to the modern German people. They are not to blame for what happened back then, they do not forget what happened though. A real shame that you feel this way in 2009 if you ask me.

parisifal said:
I subscribe to Churchills approach...zero toloerance for tyranny and zero accommodation for the sensibilities of the criminals that are the Nazis.

Museums, monuments, and history are not giving accommodation to the Nazis.

The discussion is finished for me however, because I can see where this is leading to.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back