Hitler house sale alarms locals

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

BikerBabe

Senior Master Sergeant
May 21, 2009
Denmark.
www.bmwmc.dk
Original article: BBC NEWS | Europe | Hitler house sale alarms locals

The sale of Adolf Hitler's family home in the Austrian town of Braunau am Inn has triggered concern that it could become a shrine for Nazi sympathisers.

The unassuming house where Hitler was born in 1889 has been put on the market priced at 2.2m euros (£1.9m; $3.3m).
Residents and local politicians fear that the property could fall into the hands of far-right extremists.
Braunau's mayor Gerhard Skiba wants to prevent that happening, but the council does not have the funds to buy it.
The building is currently used by an organisation helping the disabled and has at various times in its history housed a library, bank and technical institute.

Some historians have suggested turning the building into a museum.
However Mr Skiba vigorously opposes the idea, saying it would encourage people from all over the world to visit the site.

For the time being, the only reminder of the building's infamous past is a small memorial dedicated to the victims of the Nazis.

-----------------------

Well - I sure can't blame the city council folks for wanting to prevent some extreme right-wingers from purchasing the place.

True dat. I wonder if the current owners could be persuaded to work out a deal with the city to use it for good, house a VA office or something in there. Honestly, its just a house, a well-stacked pile of brick, stone, and wood. But I understand the worry about extremist groups making something more out of it.

Why? Because a child was born in it. It is a piece of history. The house did nothing. Should we burn down the house Stalin was born in? Should we burn down the house that the Jefferson Davis lived in?

The sale of Adolf Hitler's family home in the Austrian town of Braunau am Inn has triggered concern that it could become a shrine for Nazi sympathisers.

I could think of nothing else that could piss off the nazis more than destroying the very house Adolf Hitler was born in

Why? Because a child was born in it. It is a piece of history. The house did nothing. Should we burn down the house Stalin was born in? Should we burn down the house that the Jefferson Davis lived in?

Well Chris, you know as well as I do that there are still some idiots still revering mr. A. Hitler and the last thing we need is another nazi-monument, so I can understand his feelings. Best would be to change it in a Synagogue :lol:

actually, I agree with Marcel. changing it into a synagogue is better than destroying it.

I could think of nothing else that could piss off the nazis more than destroying the very house Adolf Hitler was born in

Considering that Neo Nazi's are a very small part of the population, why not use it as something that does good in peoples lives like a shelter or medical center or something. That would piss them off even more.

Should we tear down every building that has anything to do with the Nazis? Lets see that mean that almost all of the old part of Nurnberg will be destroyed, hell vast majorities of German cities will be destroyed.

Hell the Eagles Nest is still standing today. Hitler used to live there, lets burn it down!

Well Chris, you know as well as I do that there are still some idiots still revering mr. A. Hitler and the last thing we need is another nazi-monument, so I can understand his feelings.

I don't because these kind of things are not really a problem as people like them to see. You would think that the Eagles Nest would be a shrine for Neo Nazis. It is not..

You would think the Zeppelin Field in Nurnberg would be a shrine. It is not, hell it is used for rock concerts today.

It is history, history can not be changed. It should be learned from. That would be like cutting down all the trees that were planted by the Nazis. The trees did nothing...

Last edited:
Considering that Neo Nazi's are a very small part of the population, why not use it as something that does good in peoples lives like a shelter or medical center or something. That would piss them off even more.
I still vote for a synagogue or a refugees hostel. :lol:

Should we tear down every building that has anything to do with the Nazis? Lets see that mean that almost all of the old part of Nurnberg will be destroyed, hell vast majorities of German cities will be destroyed.

Hell the Eagles Nest is still standing today. Hitler used to live there, lets burn it down!

I don't because these kind of things are not really a problem as people like them to see. You would think that the Eagles Nest would be a shrine for Neo Nazis. It is not..

You would think the Zeppelin Field in Nurnberg would be a shrine. It is not, hell it is used for rock concerts today.

It is history, history can not be changed. It should be learned from. That would be like cutting down all the trees that were planted by the Nazis. The trees did nothing...

I didn't say I agreed with Trebor, I just said I understand the sentiment. We actually have some problems with old Nazi buildings and neo-nazi's here in the Netherlands. No history cannot be changed, but can repeated again. If you can learn one thing from history, then it would be that people never learn. Best solution would be something that goes directly against what the nazi's stood for, a Synagogue or something else. A museum would be good as well. I've been at the "Haus am Wannsee" and I really liked what they had done with it. It's become an anti-holocaust monument and a museum.

I agree with Marcel and Adler on this.

I understand the feelings that survivors would have towards these places.

On the other hand, these are very historical places. Should we destroy the Ford theater because John Booth shot Lincoln there? No. Hundreds, if not thousands visit the site every day because it is a historical site. Maybe we should have abandoned Pearl Harbor because the Japanese killed so many people there.

Ok, I'm being a little silly, but I'm trying to make a point.

It is my opinion that the places the Nazi's built are now, and have been for some time, historical sites. I would LOVE to see these places. If they can keep Auschwitz open, they can keep Hitlers house. Which place represents more evil?

I've been at the "Haus am Wannsee" and I really liked what they had done with it. It's become an anti-holocaust monument and a museum.

That is what they did at the Congress Hall here in Nurnberg at the Nazi Party grounds (Zeppelin Field). They have turned it into Documentation Center about the Third Reich and the Holocaust. Very well done and very somber.

didn't they do that with Auschwitz, also? make it into an anti-holocaust monument and museum?

I can't see any Jewish people wanting to use Hitlers birthplace as a place of worship. It just sounds wrong. Maybe it should be used as some type of foundation or center for the search for MIA/POW's of the Second World War. Low key but useful in fixing the horrific legacy left behind by Hitler.

I can't see any Jewish people wanting to use Hitlers birthplace as a place of worship. It just sounds wrong. Maybe it should be used as some type of foundation or center for the search for MIA/POW's of the Second World War. Low key but useful in fixing the horrific legacy left behind by Hitler.

That is more along the lines of what I was thinking.

I say this with the greatest respect, and not meaning to offend anyone, but anything that acknowledges or glorifies the nazis, and in particular, Hitler, is totally unnacceptable to me.

There are some memories and some legacies simply too distasteful and too painful to remember, even if only to make sure it doesnt happen again.

I agree with the Romans and their treatment of Carthage after the 2nd Punic War.....burn the place to the ground, and plow salt into the earth so that it will never be productive again....a symbol of the worlds reaction to Nazism, that forgets what the nazis were, but celebrates our victory over tyranny

Users who are viewing this thread

Back