How to attract more members?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thorlifter

Captain
Jun 10, 2004
Knoxville, TN
I was just wondering.......

How could we go about attracting more members, other than people doing a search on Yahoo or Google?

I know we have discussed a T-Shirt since many of us visit airshows and such.

How about business (web address) cards to hand out?

Other thoughts?

Admins, if I'm overstepping my boundaries here, feel free to delete this thread and accept my appologies.

Word of mouth. Mention it when you go into model shops and the like, even make up a flyer and print 20 of them off and leave them there.

But then again, there's 18,000 members, and probably 150-200 active at least once a week. So why are they coming, joining and never posting, or never coming back? I know it's the way it goes with all forums, but still.

To be honest I thought the amount of 'active' members on this site was pretty impressive.

Then theres people who have enough time for their interests but not say a forum. Still pushing the name can only work for the positive. :)

Of course spreading the word is a good thing but in some ways it can be intimidating to come to a forum where the main participants have known each other for a couple of years. As a whole though I would say the forum is doing very well and it will continue to grow whether or not we spread the word.

I tend to agree with Gnomey. This forum will grow with or without active
work by the members to entice people to join. People do a Google search for
an airplane picture or info, and they can be directed here. I'm hoping the
Tee-shirt thing will get off the ground.

Charles

I agree also, and please don't misinterpret this as something negative. I am simply trying to think of ideas to make sure we are the best (not necessarily the biggest) site on the web. I wish nothing but success here, thus the 4 years of my life I've shared with you goons. :)

I'm not so worried abount quantity of membership as quality of membership. Its a high standard here that I keep trying to reach (sometimes not effectively! :))

Looking through other boards, this is the best.

I was just wondering.......

How could we go about attracting more members, other than people doing a search on Yahoo or Google?

I know we have discussed a T-Shirt since many of us visit airshows and such.

How about business (web address) cards to hand out?

Other thoughts?

Admins, if I'm overstepping my boundaries here, feel free to delete this thread and accept my appologies.
Somebody may have alluded to this already... but, I'll toss it in the ring.

My son-in-law is a computer web designer guy.

He taught me the necessity of creating what he calls" "hyperlinks" - the meaning of which I have not got a clue.

However, it has something to do with making sure the name of this website gets linked whenever ANYONE is searching for any of the words that the human mind might be thinking when searching for info about such things as:

WWII
airplanes
air combat
air forces
USAF
RAF
aircraft
military aircraft
historical aircraft
airplanes in war
etc
etc
etc

Somehow, there is a way to put together a huge list of such words, and then tag or connect this website WITH all of those words in cyberspace.

I don't know how to do it, but he did it for my private professional website about 3 years ago, and my hits saw a steady and regular increase in number every single month thereafter.

BTW, he also had a way of keeping track of my hits on graphs.
:?: :?: :?: :?:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back