Imalko's Modelling Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hello Wayne!

Since you asked here is another model from my collection of "alternative materials build" models.

This model of Titanic is about 50cm long and its made from styrofoam (believe it or not) for haul, wood for uper structure, plastic tubes for funnels and almost everything else is more or less made of paper...

Since the ships haul is made of styrofoam it can float on water, but I only tried it once and avoid getting the model wet due to many parts being of paper.

I hope styrofoam is right term, in Serbian language its called "stiropor".

Sorry for some photos not being too sharp. I'm only an amateur in photography.

Attachments

• 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 94
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 100
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 102
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 98
  • 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 96
  • 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Wow! That's fantastic Igor! You've done a beautiful job there. Maybe if the real 'Titanic' had ben made from styrofoam, it really would have been unsinkable!

Undoubtedly Terry.:lol:

But I have to admit that using of the styrofoam as the haul was a veru good idea Igor. The material is called " styropian" here in Poland. Have you used a putty to make all surfaces smooth Igor?

Thanks Terry and Wojtek! I appreciated it.

I used styrofoam for haul becouse it's easy to work with. To shape it to the shape of ships haul I only used sharp knife. I used some putty to make it smoother but not much. (The haul of actual Titanic wasn't completelly smooth anyway). Note that only black painted part of the ship (haul) is made of styrofoam. Upper structure (the white painted parts) are of wood and paper.

Last edited:
Here's another of my wooden/metal models - Junkers Ju 87D Stuka with Slovak Air Arm insignia.
(Note: Yellow tail fin and forward fuselage are fictitious).

I apologize for low quality of photos, but these were taken with web camera since my photo camera is currently "unavailable".

Attachments

• pic5.jpg
    pic5.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 93
  • pic4.jpg
    pic4.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 89
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 96
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 94
  • pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 97
  • pic6.jpg
    pic6.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 97
I have noticed that I have originaly posted only one photo of my 1:72 model Bf 109G-10 of JG 27 in my first post in this thread. Since this is one of my favorite models (alongside the Fw 190D-9 <- + of JG 4, also posted on page one of the thread), I've decided to present this model with few more photos. So here they are:

Attachments

• Copy of Picture 029.jpg
    Copy of Picture 029.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 115
  • Copy of Picture 028.jpg
    Copy of Picture 028.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 101
  • Copy of Picture 026.jpg
    Copy of Picture 026.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 143
  • Copy of Picture 025.jpg
    Copy of Picture 025.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 150
  • Copy of Picture 024.jpg
    Copy of Picture 024.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 136
  • Copy of Picture 030.jpg
    Copy of Picture 030.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Very nice Igor. Two questions; first are you going to make one for the next Group Build? A P40 would look very nice!
Can you tell me how you make the prop spinners? I presume you carve and sand them from wood, but the one on the '109 looks so good, being a difficult shape to obtain accurately, I thought I'd ask.

Thanks Terry!

For the next GB (Mediterranean/North Africa) I was thinking about two entries; one "classic" plastic kit (to early to say which one, but I think it will be nice surprise in terms of well known plane but still something little different *spoiler alert*) and one rebuild wooden/metal model of Bf 109E-7/trop (remember we talked about it through PM recently). Maybe I will include one more wooden/metal rebuild but I don't know right know if I will have enough time. For the time being I wasn't considering P-40 as new build, but you never know. It's a good idea since I never had built P-40 before. And I really like those P-40s with red stars used by the Soviets. We will see...

As for spinner...You are right regarding the way in which I made it. It's difficult to achieve correct shape, but it is all try and error process I guess (and I made many errors along the way)...

By the way Terry, when the current GB ends and new one begins?

Last edited:
Thanks Igor. Looking forward to your entries, especially the wood/metal one(s).
The current GB ends on Friday July 31st, and the MTO/North Africa GB starts on Saturday August 1st.
I'll be posting something about the next GB, including guidelines etc, in about two weeks time, after confering with the other judges.

I know that work on this model had been covered by photos in separate thread, but I decided to post few pictures of finished model here as well.
This is scratch (wood/metal) rebuild in 1/72 scale and my first model after almost 10 year pause. It represents an North American P-51B Mustang flown Lt. E.A.Smith of 52 FG September 1944.

Attachments

• 10_14.jpg
    10_14.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 84
  • 10_13.jpg
    10_13.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 81
  • 10_12.jpg
    10_12.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 84
  • 10_11.jpg
    10_11.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 10_10.jpg
    10_10.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 86
This was kinda mentioned in another thread... Over the years when I was making my wood/metal scratch build models I was considering to build one four engined model but never actually did it. At that time British Halifax bomber was my first choice and I had an idea to build Bf 110 night fighter too, so this two aircraft would in a way represent night aerial battle over Germany. As I gradually stopped modeling this idea was abandoned...
But I did made few two engined models at that time - He 111, Ju 88A, Bf 110 and Hs 129 - which I would like to present with few pictures. They are nothing special, but still...
For start here are few photos of He 111:

Attachments

• f_0010.jpg
    f_0010.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 89
  • f_0011.jpg
    f_0011.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 93
  • f_0013.jpg
    f_0013.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 93
  • f_0014.jpg