Imalko's Modelling Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

imalko

Chief Master Sergeant
Mar 2, 2009
Vojvodina, Serbia
Encouraged with comments received when I posted pictures of some of my models in "Post your models" thread I have decided to share with you guys some more pictures...

As I wrote earlier my modeling days were at their hight some 10 years ago. Being in high school at the time it became expensive for me to buy and build more models, so I tried to use some alterative materials for my builds. I have build number of models (all in 1:72 scale) using wood for fuselage and metal sheets for wings and tail surfaces. Over the years I have saved some 15 models of primarily Luftwaffe aircraft and I would like to share pictures of them with you.

So, for start, here's three of my wooden/metal models: Fw 190D-9, Bf 109G-10 and Fw 190G.
More to fallow in future posts. Comments and questions are welcomed.

(Note: I know, regarding the Bf 109 model, putting the JG 3 amblem on the JG 27 aircraft is a mistake, but in my defense I didn't know that at the time. :oops: )

Attachments

• Picture -001.jpg
    Picture -001.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 259
  • Picture -003.jpg
    Picture -003.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 231
  • Picture -004.jpg
    Picture -004.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 236
  • Picture -005.jpg
    Picture -005.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 237
  • Picture -006.jpg
    Picture -006.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 227
  • Picture -007.jpg
    Picture -007.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 227
Last edited by a moderator:
That is quite impressive!from what I understand back in the 30's-40's this would of been avenue taken.I like it and you can actually tell what each one is ;)

Thanks to everyone. I appreciate it.

So here are some more photos. This are materials used for building this models. Basically its wood for fuselage, alluminium metal for wings and tail surfaces, plastic for wheels and in most of models cardboard paper for propellers. Only in my last two models (Fw 190D G) I made propellers from thin alluminium metal too. In most cases I drew insignia on paper by hand and the glue it on the finished model, but on few occasions I used unused decals from plastic kits...

Second photo shows what tool I used when working on wooden fuselages.

Attachments

• Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 193
  • Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 011.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
And here are few more photos of my models. I'm not completelly satisfied with He 111 model since the shape of the wings came out wrong and the horizontal tail surfaces are too small. Also in some of my early models I used ordinary metal sheets for wings and (believe it or not) I have painted them with tempera water colors (not a good combination at all). They looked fine at the time but over the years rust began to appear. (Look photo of the Ju 87G for example). That's why I switched to alluminium metal and Humbrol colors in my later models. Trial and error process, I guess.

It appears that some of my earlier models require restoration. :oops: Maybe I'll take some photos while doing it so you guys could see the process if some of you are interested...

(Note: Regarding the Bf 110 model, camouflage and tactical markings on this one (including JG 52 amblem) are purely fictional.)

Attachments

• Picture 017.jpg
    Picture 017.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 193
  • picture_018.jpg
    picture_018.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 193
  • Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 185
  • Picture 008.jpg
    Picture 008.jpg