'Japanese' bravery

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Theres two types of camps. Death camps and concentration camps.

The Germans only had one type of camp. A death camp because, anyone who went into one, was eventually going to die.

Saying they are "Internment camps" is just sugar coating what a concentration camp really is. People thrown into a jail like setting for no cause, without rights and treated like animals.

Then there is always that issue of being shot without warning for being on the wrong side of the fence.

Theres two types of camps. Death camps and concentration camps.

The Germans only had one type of camp. A death camp because, anyone who went into one, was eventually going to die.

Saying they are "Internment camps" is just sugar coating what a concentration camp really is. People thrown into a jail like setting for no cause, without rights and treated like animals.

Then there is always that issue of being shot without warning for being on the wrong side of the fence.

do you really thik the japs were treated like animals there?
i don´t have much info about it so if you know some link post it please.
and if someone speaks about concentration camp today, everyone imagines nazi death camp

I too am a jpn-american. While we hear of the jpn-american internment/concentration camps as consiting of Americans of Jpn descent who were living in the west coast areas, there was a population of Hawaiian Japaness Americans who were sent to camps. These citizen were usually involved in the jpn-american community or business community, and were targed because they were citizen leaders, who naturally did talk to people (and relatives!) back in japan. None were ever convicted.

When I visited Hawaii a few years ago, I picked up a book on these hawaiian jpn-americans (airplane reading material): Ganbare! by Saiki, Patsy

While I'm not surprised not many mainlanders or even Katonks (me) know much about the internment camps, let alone the hawaiian ones, I am alittle surprised that a "buddah-head" (no offense meant: the 442nd are my heros and I like to throw around their diction when I have the chance) would say no hawaiian jpn-american was send to camps...

JCCH*:*Hawaii Internees Story

From what I've read, the idea of putting the Japanese on the West Coast in Camps (Concentration or Custody or whatever you want to call it) came out of the Roosevelt Administration. Right after Pearl Harbor, there was considerable concern that the Japanese population had persons in that were of questionable loyalty, to put it simply, deep cover plants.

Roosevelt (and a few others of his administration) wanted to put them in Camps to keep an eye on them. Hoover thought the FBI could root out the problem ones if given the time and resources. Roosevelt won out and Japanese (naturalized, American born and enemy alien) were put in camps. The zone in which this occured was pretty much along the West Coast, inland states (for the most part) did not send Japanese to camps (Unless they were enemy aliens and then they were obligated to go by rules of war).

However, the same question came up in the East with the Italians and Germans and the Germans in the Midwest. In those cases, Hoover won out. Individuals registered with the FBI, had to turn in weapons and radios and keep the Feds informed if they went anywhere.

It seems the focus was more on where the external threat was and who might be a possible ally to that threat that anything else. If Pearl Harbor was on the East Coast and Germany/Italy had a capable fleet, it is entirely possible the same occurence would've happened on the East Coast.

From what I've read, the idea of putting the Japanese on the West Coast in Camps (Concentration or Custody or whatever you want to call it) came out of the Roosevelt Administration.

But no one has trampled the civil rights of people as much as our current pres. :( Right?

I use the term Internment as a way to distinguish between those of the Axis and here in the US.

But no one has trampled the civil rights of people as much as our current pres. :( Right?
QUOTE]

Lincoln. Tossed people in jail almost at random and didn't bother to try them. When the Supreme Court ruled against the detainments, he ignored them. He briefly considered tossing the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court in jail as well.

Even if Bush did a tenth of the things they say he did, he'd still come up way, way short of Lincoln.

I too am a jpn-american. While we hear of the jpn-american internment/concentration camps as consiting of Americans of Jpn descent who were living in the west coast areas, there was a population of Hawaiian Japaness Americans who were sent to camps. These citizen were usually involved in the jpn-american community or business community, and were targed because they were citizen leaders, who naturally did talk to people (and relatives!) back in japan. None were ever convicted.

When I visited Hawaii a few years ago, I picked up a book on these hawaiian jpn-americans (airplane reading material): Ganbare! by Saiki, Patsy

While I'm not surprised not many mainlanders or even Katonks (me) know much about the internment camps, let alone the hawaiian ones, I am alittle surprised that a "buddah-head" (no offense meant: the 442nd are my heros and I like to throw around their diction when I have the chance) would say no hawaiian jpn-american was send to camps...

JCCH*:*Hawaii Internees Story

My father showed me an old prewar photo of himself with two IJN officers. He recalled that they came to Hawaii on a big battleship or cruiser. My father also travelled to Japan and returned to Hawaii just before the war started and he was never interned, under suspicion, or even harassed in any way. In fact in 1945 he was drafted into the US army and sent to occupy Germany. Maybe it is true that a few JAs in Hawaii were interned but it wasn't common at all. My main point is that none of Dan Inouye's family was interned as someone implied.

If FDR could imprison somebody, couldn't Barack Obama do the same?

Sorry about that, that's politics.

I do think the Japanese who fought for the United States were gallent fellows, particularly the ones who had family members in camps.

I can understand somewhat why the US goverment did it, if you watch movie serials like Batman 1943 with a Jap as the main villian. I bet people were scared by stuff like that.

Now that I think about it, I've read a few accounts of Hawaii JAs being arrested for flying the Japanese flag and celebrating Hirohito's birthday during the war. It is also well known that a Japanese pilot was assisted by local Japanese after he crashed landed on Niihau. They too were arrested.

It seems the attitude here among many of the Hawaii JAs was that Japan would win the war and they would quietly root for Japan.

I've read that the period was rife with rumors such as the IJN was preparing to land on Hawaii. A crowd actually gathered one day on the big island, because it was rumored that a fleet of Japanese ships would be sailing by the coast. When news that Japan was losing the war reached here, many were saddened and openly wept when the news was read to them at community gatherings.

However we see that there was no wholesale internment like there was on the west coast just because of the logistics. There were just too many JAs in Hawaii for that to happen.

Weren't some Japanese AMericans deployed into Monte Cassino? I watched a show called World War II Battlefront and thay said that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back