Joe Galloway-Ia Drang.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ferdinand Foch

Staff Sergeant
Hey everyone. I gotta friend whose doing a presentation tomorrow on war correspondents and the ethics involved in it. He asked me whether or not Joe Galloway actually fought at Ia Drang, as depicted in We Were Soldiers. I'm not sure. Does anyone know? Thanks.
-FF

I believe in the 1st episode of the new VietNam HD series Joe Galloway mentions that he was infact handed a weapon. If he shot it or not I don't know. Also I could be wrong entirely and maybe projecting some fiction from the movie (if it is in fact fiction) into what I read in WWSOAY and saw on TV.

Joe Galloway was awarded the Bronze Star,in 1998, the only one ever given to a civilian for his actions in the Ia Drang battle. I haven't read the exact wording of the citation, but it was reported to be for repeatedly risking his life to rescue wounded men under fire.

I've read the book he co-authored with Col. Moore about the battle " We were Soldiers Once, and Young " I don't remember him mentioning having fired any weapons during the battle.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back