Iran's Newest Warplane Something from GI Joe?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

vikingBerserker

Lieutenant General
Apr 10, 2009
South Carolina
from Iran's newest warplane something from 'GI Joe?' – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs
130208101936-02-iran-qaher-horizontal-gallery.jpg

First it was monkeys in space (or not) and now it's "GI Joe" fighter jets. Not the best of times for Iran's aviation and aerospace programs, at least if you listen to the skeptics.

First there were doubts about Tehran's claim it sent a monkey into space in late January. After photos of two different monkeys that were aboard the alleged one-monkey space shot surfaced, Iran media said there was a photo mix-up and, yes, there was just one Iranian monkey in space.

Then this week Iran unveiled what it said was its new high-tech stealth fighter plane. The jet shown in pictures on the website of Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has been the butt of jokes all week from aviation bloggers.

"This aircraft looks a lot like an old GI Joe toy," wrote one blogger.

And from another, "This has to be a joke, right?"

More pics: - Ceremony to unveil the domestically made fighter

A picture of the cockpit showed it was made from fiberglass molds. And its too small to fit a pilot. Too top it off, the airspeed indicator topped out at 220 mph.

Look how dirty the canopy is. Other pics on the Internet showed a portion of the cockpit which had some commercial after market avioncs installed. These guys are total idiots!

All the stencils are in english

From what I understand that is actually international convention, as I believe English is the official language of aviation (IIRC). This was dramatically shown to me when, many years ago, I visited the NASM storage and restoration facility in Silver Hills, Maryland were they were restoring a Vietnam Era Soviet SAM. The docent leading the tour stopped the group in front of the missile and asked us if we notice anything unusual. No one, including myself, did. He finally pointed out that the markings on the missile were in Cyrillic AND English. Suitably impressed he went on to explain the reason behind it. As a widely exported product it made sense to include the language of aviation on all the stenciling on the missile.

That being said I still think it's basically a mockup being passed off as a functioning aircraft. Looks like the Boeing(?) "Bird of Prey" drone to me.

From what I understand that is actually international convention, as I believe English is the official language of aviation (IIRC).
Only with regards to commercial aviation. As far as military aircraft, it's based on the operator's choices and sometimes treaties with other nations may come into play. The SAM you saw being restored probably had english on it based on the original customer's request

from my privae sources I am finding the weapons systems will be hand-held . .. . . .

try one of these over Israeli air-sapce .................. this should be fun

On the slideshow of images it has an RAF roundel under one wing!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back