Yeah, I think having felons serve is an invitation to trouble. I seem to remember that being asked when I went to the MEPS station; "Have you ever been convicted of a felony?".
Evan, I think I remember reading that the army gives recruits a psycological evaluation before they allow them to serve?
It is dangerous even to think about something like this...espacially in a time when you are in war!
Dangerous to send felons to seve? Agreed
In my opinion, the justice system of the USA is not fair. It is a big difference, if you are rich or poor.
Justice system in the US is about as good or better than most other "Western nations" Unfortunatley I suspect that people in other countries base 99% of their opinion of the US justice system on the "O.J. Simpson" or "Paris Hilton" cases
I've spent about half of this decade in the US so I have a good idea what goes on. Most US police officers I've dealt with were very professional courteous. (No I wasn't busted!

! 2 accidents 1 drunken bozo busting my window) When my vehicle was broken into in Canada the cops couldn't even be bothered to send an investigator - ("Just give the report on the phone sir")

I've been a plaintiff in small claims in the US Canada, it was about 5 times more hassle in Canada. We have a big problem here in Canada with judges giving a slap on the wrist to repeat offenders (shoplifting, car theft, break enter etc) and probation, on the 2nd, 3rd 10th 20th offence. I like the US idea that the punlic can vote out bleeding heart judges.
T4.H said:
The US-Army lacks of educated and also motivated soldiers...
Ok now this statement in not only extremely insulting, but dead wrong. The US soldiers are highly motivated and are better educated than the general population.
And around the world, the US Army is nowadays famous for there war-crimes especially in Irak...
Do you want to go next to someone into a battle who is only in your unit, because if not, he would end in jail?
DerAdler said:
Have you been watching ZDF again? Everytime I see this very political and anti American TV Channel I laugh because it is wrong in 90 percent of what it broadcasts.
And in that case they are wrong. War-Crimes has been very minimal in Iraq. In fact there have not been any war crimes. There have been things done that probably should not have been done but there were no war crimes.
The US Army does not have a policy of torture or a policy of killing innocent civilians. As a veteran of Iraq I am disgusted.
Thats correct Adler.
I think T4.H is wrong about "War crimes" which are ordered or promoted by the government. There have been crimes committed "in a war" which are common crimes. (I assume that he's referring to Abu Graib etc) It's unfortunate but most media will ignore 1,000s of good deeds done by US soldiers, and concentrate on the .01% or less that commit crimes - COMMON CRIMES - not war crimes - and they are punished.
I agree Wildcat. I don't care for what happens to them if they are caught. They are not in uniform and therefore have no rights. As for T4 trying to say the US Army is committing war crimes, how can they when what they are doing isn't against any conventions on war - combatants not in uniform can be shot out of hand - which they aren't doing.
Gnomey I think he said "famous for" committing, not "did commit". If by "famous for" he means "accused of" in the cr@p media, unfortunately he's not wrong on this, I've heard too many ignorant comments from people the media in Europe, Australia, Canada etc. (and from the far-left anti war types in the US too) about Bush is a war criminal, US soldiers are baby killers and other SH*T like that!
I disagree with you though about detainee's rights Gnomey, I think Sen. McCain is right about this. Whether they are unlawful combatants or not we need to treat them as if they were covered by the Geneva convention. otherwise it could 1.) Result in more mis-treatment of US soldiers if captured, and
2.) give an excuse for all the dictatorships or oppresive regimes (China, Russia, Burma, Iran, Zimbabwe, Sudan) to abuse detainees by claiming they are "unlawful combatants" etc.
In the justice system we must give the accused all of their rights even if we know that they are as guilty as f**k. (like O.J. Simpson?)