Just found this interesting site..........

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Flightpath

Airman 1st Class
Nov 16, 2007
Tranby, Norway
Hi,

this is my first post and I'm looking forward to being here often.

I'm an aussie liveing in Norway, have been interested in and collected aviation/WW2 aircraft related items for over 35 years. (Grandfather ex-WW2 RAAF).
I'm an instrument maker by trade and have had a nice assortment of instruments and pilot/cockpit equipment both modern and from back into the 1930s.
Here are a few of my WW2 RAF/RAAF items.......
WW2Spitfireitems.jpg

Spitfire ASI, MK II clock, P6 compass, 3 x escape compasses, RAAF officer's sholder titles, RAF RAAF wings, silk map of New Guinea, 1943 RAF booklet 'Bag the Hun' RAF whistle.
(By the way, in 1940 the P6 compass was standard in the Spitfire Hurricane, not the P8 which came out in early 1941).

Right now I'm interested in 1930-40s navigation instruments and watches.
(I'm looking for an RAF 6B/159 watch without luck so far but there's always time, and I need more time to save up the cash).

I'll leave it there for now and do some more reading,

cheers,

-Flightpath

Hi Erich,

thanks for the welcome........ (I changed my norwegian flag to an aussie one, even though I live in Norway I'm 100% aussie).

I'll have to take some more up to date photos but here's my small WW2 luftwaffe collection, I used to have a few more but sold much of my collection in Australia before I moved to Norway.

Luftwaffeinstruments.jpg

cheers,

-Flightpath

Great more please ......:D

question: the 2 gauges are from what A/C ?

E ~

The altimeter was given to me by an ex-RAAF engineer and was from Nth Africa, he said it was from an FW 190 (dated 1943 on the rear case).
The clock was from Stavanger on the west coast of Norway, it was from an aircraft wrecked just after the war, I think it was also an FW190 (I like to think so anyway).

There were over 250 luftwaffe aircraft in Norway at the time of surrender but the british and US had all but two destroyed.

The map light is a realy nice item, much nicer than WW2 US or british ones, it has a switch and can let the light out of the side for lighting a large area or at the end where there is an iris for altering the diameter of the beam. There's also a fold-out hook for hanging the light.

cheers,

-Flightpath

Hi,

Here's my 1941 dated RAF A.M. Gunsight MK II*; 1941 was the year that the MK II gunsights changed from an oval to the square reflector glass to become MK II*. (These were used in Spitfires, Hurricanes, Mosquitoes ect.)

GMII.jpg

I bought a 1" thich slab of aluminium, then drilled, hacksawed, milled, polished and had it anodised to make the mount that holds the sight onto the 'bookend' (made by my best friend). I think it was worth all the effort!

It is in working order with original on/off switch, socket and dimmer switch.

cheers,

-Flightpath

Hi Flightpath,

That is a very interesting collection you have there! :)

Here are a couple of threads on instruments and gunsights you might find interesting:

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aircraft-requests/japanese-aircraft-instruments-9923.html

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aviation/japanese-zero-instruments-9920.html

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aviation/ez-42-gunsite-7414.html

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/ot...s-tech/british-gyro-gun-sight-mk-5a-5581.html

Personally, I'm fascinated by your "Bag the Hun" booklet as it's a piece of evidence regarding fighter doctrine and pilot training I have not seen before.

Here is a PDF with the Luftwaffe "Schießfibel" ('Shooting Primer'), which is not an exact counterpart to your manual, but represents the Luftwaffe doctrine/training:

http://www.sh-squadron.de/pdf/Schiessfibel.pdf

(It's in German, but fully illustrated. The cartoon-style illustrations were probably inspired by the RAF's own Pilot Officer Percival Prune cartoons, though it's not as evident in the Schießfibel as in the Tiger and Panther tank manuals.)

In Luftwaffe ace Willy Reschke's book on his wartime service, I read that apparently, the Luftwaffe had issued some kind of card game to train the pilots in deflection shooting, but that's about all I know about it.

I suspect that card came might have worked just like the "Bag the Hun" excercises, so I'm very curious about that booklet :)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Welcome Flightpath, great stuff you have there mate! :cool: What did your Granddad do during the war?

Ga'day Wildcat,

grandpa used to joke that he had one aircraft to his credit during WW2, while he was an LAC on Melville Island he drove a truck under the wing of an aircraft breaking off the pitot tube and putting it out of service for a few hours.

Here's grandpa, I have his service medals and a few other things......... he was proud of his RAAF service, later he worked at CAC down at Fisherman's Bend in the 60s, I remember the CAC christmas parties, all the other kids were haveing pony rides while I was inside looking at the Mirage III assembly line!;)

58101JHBailey.jpg

cheers,

-Flightpath

Hi Henning,

the A.P. 2580A 'Bag The Hun' booklet was a real find, I traded a P6 compass for it from a french collector visiting Melbourne long ago.

It was printed in april 1943 to help RAF pilots with the FW190 problem, I had never seen one before and when I turned it over, I found written in ink on the back "OC 451 (RAAF) Sqdrn ME".... what a find!
(451 flew Gladiators, Huricanes and later Spitfires)

BagtheHunpage.jpg

cheers,

-Flightpath

Welcome the forum flightpath, my mouth is watering at your collection. Very cool and thanks for sharing.

Thanks guys,

I bought two WW2 navigator's stopwatches today, an RAF one and a USAAF one. I'll take some new photos of some more items soon,

cheers,

-Flightpath

Users who are viewing this thread

Back