Just what were these retards thinking of? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

syscom3

Pacific Historian
Jun 4, 2005
Orange County, CA
Putting lit candles on a christmas tree? duhhhhhh...... lucky noone was hurt. This type of stupidity is so bad, that the city should sue these people to recover the costs of fighting the fire! If someone had been killed, I would have nominated the tree "decorator" as a darwin candidate

Candles on tree ignite house fire
Officials estimate the damage at $3 million.
By Rachanee Srisavasdi and Katherine Nguyen
THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

A blaze that broke out on a Christmas tree adorned with a dozen lit candles caused $3 million in damage to a Newport Beach house and its contents, fire officials said Monday.

The fire on the 2200 block of Port Durness occurred just after midnight, while the husband and wife were exchanging gifts, Newport Beach Fire Division Chief Ralph Restadius said.

The family had put lit candles on the tree as part of a Scandinavian tradition, Restadius said. After the wife noticed the tree had caught fire, the husband threw a bucket of water on the flames and the wife called 911.

The couple ran upstairs to grab their children, ages 5 and 6, Restadius said. A grandmother also got out safely.

Firefighters put out the fire at the 3,600-square-foot home after three hours.

The family, whose name was not released, moved into the house in July. The roof will have to be replaced, and all the contents of the home – including original works of art – were destroyed, Restadius said.

Article - News - Candles on tree ignite house fire

Attachments

• 26nbfire_lg.jpg
    26nbfire_lg.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 242
it is an old German tradition. My Oma did it for years, but her tree was always fresh, as I was growing up maybe at 7 yrs the candles gave way to an electric bubble candle which had a neat flickering effect

candles on a tree in this day and age ? now way .........

This in the Fire Brigade is one of those things we describe as....

Job Security :lol:

Idjits are Idjits. Stuff happens around them at an accelerated speed.

Merry CHRISTMAS. By the way, honey, the Christmas Tree's on fire. I love you. :D

My best friends are the "Retards" you are talking about.

1) Did they have candles on their tree? Yes.
2) Were they lit? No.
3) Did they catch fire like the rest of the house AFTER a strand of lights caught the tree on fire. Yes.

What could cause more harm to this family who lost EVERYTHING?
The news reporters who were POLITELY asked to leave the family alone (several times), but decided to spin their own sensational story to capture headlines or having their 6 year old to hear "you are stupid for lighting candles on your tree" or maybe just you are a "retard".

If the story you heard sounds ridiculous, that's because it is.
:(

Well friend, it's very noble of you for sticking up for your friends - have they begun filing a defamation law suit? I would if what you say is indeed true, but its funny, I seen this story all over the news and never heard anything to the contrary stating that the candles didn't cause the fire. Here's a link that's still live...

Christmas tree candles cause multimillion-dollar damage - Yahoo! News

And quoting the article..

"Firefighters said
a blaze that ripped through the family's luxury residence in Newport Beach, south of Los Angeles, was caused after candles placed on a Christmas tree ignited branches."

So if this is true someone better be investigating what the firefighters and reporters said and what is and isn't true...

I stand by the OC Register news story.

They generally don't sensationalize stories like this. And if it wasn't true, then that story would have gotten converage.

And were you in the house fighting the fire? Or did you just hear from them their side of the story which is highly likely to be biased.

By the way, welcome to the site.

And Sys, the article you posted stated the following...

"The fire on the 2200 block of Port Durness occurred just after midnight, while the husband and wife were exchanging gifts, Newport Beach Fire Division Chief Ralph Restadius said.The family had put lit candles on the tree as part of a Scandinavian tradition, Restadius said. After the wife noticed the tree had caught fire, the husband threw a bucket of water on the flames and the wife called 911."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back