Kingdom of the Netherlands is 200 years old today.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Marcel

rotartsinimdA
Staff
Admin
Mod
Sep 19, 2006
Dordrecht
www.redbeatband.nl
Today it's been 200 years ago Willem Frederik (Willem I) landed on Dutch soil to become the first king of the "Koninkrijk der Nederlanden" after the French occupation under Napoleon. He landed at Scheveningen after being brought there by a british fregat.

Well here's to the king :occasion5:

Last edited:
Complicated times, particularly between the battles of Leipzig and Waterloo!
Congratulations on 200 years :)
Steve

It's strange to me that it's only 200 years actually, but all the same it's reassuring to have a monarchy - it speaks of roots, power, battles, and tradition.

God knows I am not a royalist, and some kings needed executing for sure, but back in the day, when you wanted some headbangers to lead your army into the thick of the carnage, then kings and princes did the job... 8)

Congratulations, I was in Dordrecht when you celebrated the Queens birthday in 2011, it was one helluva night except no one told me about the minute silence I felt a right fool talking while everyone else stood solemnly silent. It was clear Queen Beatrix had/has a special place in the hearts of the Dutch people.

Congratulations, I was in Dordrecht when you celebrated the Queens birthday in 2011, it was one helluva night except no one told me about the minute silence I felt a right fool talking while everyone else stood solemnly silent. It was clear Queen Beatrix had/has a special place in the hearts of the Dutch people.
Nice, I live in Dordrecht:) Yes, Queen Beatrix is a great woman, made the royal family popular again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back