lord help my Mk-22 how shakey can one get

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Beauty Bill. I thought there was something wrong with the shape of the nose at first - couldn't figure out what. Then I remembered that the bulges over the rocker covers on the top cowling are separate items! You've done a really neat job there.

Curappppppppppppppppp! Then I looked at the bottom of the wing section............................ and I have forgotten the clear piece for the formation lights..................... only good thing I haven't glued the tail piece, I can still pry it up and hopefully get it in place. Wouldn't cha know... But it IS starting to look like a plane now. Got the radiators attached too! Thanks again for all the kudos. It is muchly appreciated. cheers, Bill

Bill don't attempt to prise the fuselage open, just for three tiny lamps! It could result in a very poor joint afterwards. Instead, part-fill the openings with Micro Kristal Kleer, or PVA glue. Let this set, then paint the required colours for the lamps and, when dry, apply more PVA. Wipe off any excess with a wet finger tip. This can all be done after the model is painted, which saves a tricky masking job, even for liquid mask.
This will give a very good result which, personally, I think is probably better than the kit part anyway.

I will think on this. Thanks for the tip. Meanwhile I have to scratch build a wheel door. Oo, oo, where are the jack points under the wings???? I could make this a maintenance display, swinging the gear! yes??? and what do the jack stands look like, I have seen what is used on a Mustang! cheers, Bill

Far as I remember, as I haven't looked at the kit for quite some time, there should be stencils for the jack points on the decal sheet, and instructions as to where they go. They are inboard from the wing tip, at about a quarter span. The Spit normally used a trestle, rather than jacks, and the stencils read something like 'Trestle Here', with a black line either side of the wording.
The trestles were basically two braced vertical poles, with an interconnecting trestle bar, and the aircraft 'sat' on these. But, which U/C door have you lost? You will be able to get a replacement from Airfix, although I've been waiting about 7 weeks for a part for another kit. Or, you could make one from plastic card, using the opposite face of the other door as a pattern. There is only a slight curve on the Mk22/24 doors, so they should be fairly easy to make.

I found this picture on the web. I will look for what you are describing tho. I think it's the starbord side I have lost. Not the one attached to the strut. cheers, Bill

Attachments

• swing.JPG
    swing.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 142
Nice pic. That's one of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight's Spit's, probably under deep service. The screw jacks shown are actually supporting the fuselage - the trestles mentioned previously are used for supporting the wings, and can be placed at two points on each wing, negating the need for fuselage jacks. However, as the aircraft in your pic is possibly due to have the wings removed, the centre jacks would be used too. It's possible that the wing is already free - notice the primer-coated flange at the edge of the wheel bay. The gear legs are anchored at the wing roots and main spar union, with the wing joint just outboard of the legs.

I am in the middle of making my stands based on the picture above. My drawing is attached as to how i want the stand to look when finished and under the plane. the little pieces supporting the bar at an angle has me a little befuddeled, but i will get it eventually. cheers, Bill

Attachments

• jack stand sm.JPG
    jack stand sm.JPG
    8.3 KB · Views: 115
With Australia shutting down for the Xmas holidays every year, something I have trouble getting my head around, I am just getting a reply from the wax printer for my jack stand parts. So will update this one when that happens. cheers, Bill

Sorry for not posting my progress, many prob think I have been doing "nuthink"! I have been sidetracked with some 1/72nd stuff. Which has proved educational. I have found I need to re-hone my skills after my long time away from using my hands.

I found the casting could have been done for my jackstands from my CAD drawings in solids, but quite prohibitive, so That went by the wayside, good exercise tho. Then I got in the mail the replacement gear door panels, huzah. So off I went painting by the pictures of the Mk.22 in Oz from a forum member. So, now I post those results along with the cockpit. Now is just the clear coat of my floor polish, which I found here in Oz in an IGA store. Another tip from a forum member. Decals and finishing touches.

Notice the control surfaces I had been molding and casting. I am thru the roof with the results. Just as I had done in my before life modeling.

Attachments

• painted post.jpg
    painted post.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 78
It's been since July last year I have made an entry on this bird. I stalled because I wanted to do the decals on Future, and couldn't find it to save my sole...... now that i have it, and I was so close to assembly, I have taken some time to do just that. So now along with the Spitty and Tiffy I am gonna do the future treatment, door, details and decals to all three one after tuther! I can't belive I'm actually gonna have Four birds finished!!!!!! BoB GB Defiant!

Attachments

• 10 on wheels.jpg
    10 on wheels.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 67

Users who are viewing this thread

Back