Medal of Honor Recipient Dies (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ccheese

Member In Perpetuity
Jul 10, 2007
Virginia Beach, Va.
Medal of Honor Recipient Dies

Col. Robert L. Howard, one of the Vietnam war's most highly decorated servicemen, who was
awarded The Medal of Honor for rescuing fellow Green Berets while wounded and under enemy fire, died
Wednesday in Waco, Texas. He was 70.

In five tours of duty in Vietnam, Howard also received the Distinguished Service Cross, the Silver Star and
eight Purple Hearts.

He received the Medal of Honor from then President Nixon in 1971. The citation credited him for
his "complete devotion to the welfare of his men at the risk of his own life".

At the time of the award, he was a First Sergeant.. [Sergeant 1st Class]

This from today's [Norfolk] Virginian Pilot

:salute:

Charles

Earned the MOH, was nominated for it twice more, and racked up 8 PH's in a very short amount of time. :salute:

Salute_Smiley_Standard.gif

Wheels

I heard some guys one the radio talking about this today. These guys were from Belfast and were saying how sad it was that no one in the U.S. was talking about this man dying.

Sure says alot when people from the other side of the world have to be the ones to talk about our military heroes.

They also said Col Howard was the most decorated soldier in U.S. history. Is this true? It says he was on Wiki, but we all know how hit-and-miss Wiki can be.

The sources I read said he was the most decorated of our generation. I think Audie Murphy, if you count his foreign medals, topped Col Howard, but being nominated for 3 CMH's has to put him right up there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back