Metallica or Megadeth?

Metallica or Megadeth?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

DerAdlerIstGelandet

Private Chemtrail Disperser
Staff
Mod
Nov 8, 2004
USA/Germany
What in your opinion is the better band? Metallica or Megadeth.

Both were possibly the two most influential bands of the Thrash scene and influenced Metal Music even for todays generation. Metallica and Megadeth pioneered the Thrash Metal scene. New bands today list these two giants as the bands that paved the way for them and influenced there style of music. Both bands have been through there ups and downs, but both have a consistant fan base and both have also lost fans to the changing times.

A bit of History for those that might not know.

The beginnings of Metallica started in 1980 when a young Lars Ulrich a Danish born drummer met James Hetfield through a webzine ad that Lars placed. It was not until 1981 however that Las scored a deal to record a song for the Metal Massacre compilation. He was able to put a band together with James Hetfield on vocals and rythm guitar and bass guitar and Lloyd grant on lead guitar. The song that they recorded was "Hit the Lights."

In 1982 the Metallica line up changed to James Hetfield (vocals/rythm guitar), Lars Ulrich (drums), Ron McGovney (bass guitar), and Dave Mustaine (lead guitar) and they recorded a demo called Power Metal.

In 1982 Metallica added a 5th member to the band named Jef Warner and he took over vocals for James and James only played rythm guitar.This only lasted for a very short time. A few months later the Metal Massacre compilation was released and Metallica quickly started to gain an underground popularity.

Later in 1982 Metallica released another demo called "No Life Till Leather" with the songs:

Hit The Lights
Mechanix
Motorbreath
Seek And Destroy
Metal Militia
Jump In The Fire
Phantom Lord

and the demo sold like crazy. The world was beginning to crash under the great Metallica.

In November of 1982 Cliff Buron (RIP) replaced Ron McGovney on bass. In April 1983 shortly before the release of there first album Kill em All, Kirk Hammett replaced Dave Mustaine due to drug and alcohol problems among others.

The line up is now James Hetfield (vocals), Lars Ulrich (drums), Kirk Hammett (lead guitar), and Cliff Burton (bass guitar). This line up would stay the same until Cliff was killed in a tragic bus accident while on tour in 1986 and then Jason Newstead would take over on Bass until he left the band in 2001 and was replaced by Rob Trujillo

Dave Mustaine was quite bitter about being kicked out of Metallica especially since he helped write some of there better known hits off of the album Kill em All and Ride the Lightning and basically vowed to build a bigger and better band (a project he never quite achieved in my opinion). Megadeth went through several line up changes like Metallica with many of them caused by Dave Mustaines drug and alcohol problems. In 2002 Megadeth disbanded to later reunite with a new lineup.

Metallica albums.

1983 - Kill em All
1984 - Ride the Lightning
1986 - Master of Puppets
1987 - The $5.98 E.P.: Garage Days Re-Revisited
1988 - ...And Justice For All
1991 - Metallica
1996 - Load
1997 - ReLoad
1998 - Garage Inc.
1999 - S&M
2003 - St. Anger
2007/2008 - Unreleased album being recorded at the moment.

Megadeth Albums:

1985 - Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good!
1986 - 1986 Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?
1988 - So Far, So Good... So What!
1990 - Rust in Peace
1992 - Countdown to Extinction
1994 - Youthanasia
1995 - Hidden Treasures
1997 - Cryptic Writings
1999 - Risk
2001 - The World Needs a Hero
2004 - The System Has Failed
2007 - United Abominations

I've been listening to metal for about 10 years, and even I'd struggle to tell you the difference. Black metal for me is (in general) the extreme Satanist face painting, such as Mayhem or Dimmu Borgir. Thrash is more traditional, played very fast and loose, Slayer or Anthrax. Speed metal would be the same but more technical, Metallica or Megadeth. Death metal would be halfway between black and speed in terms of heaviness, such as Deicide or Morbid Angel

Doubtless someone will disagree with me, and then of course you have all the other genres; industrial (VNV Nation, Fear Factory), gothic (Paradise Lost, Lacuna Coil), darkwave, nu metal (Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit), New Wave American Heavy Metal (Killswitch Engage, Shadow's Fall), hardcore (Hatebreed, Madball), melodic, heavy metal, rap metal, stoner, battle metal, grindcore, punk (The Exploited, Refused - NOT Green Day). To be honest, you could make a case for pretty much any band being at least 2 of the above. Half the time I think people make up new genres just to seem different

To make it easier for you I went to wiki and copy and pasted the different styles for you. I also listed some bands for each subgenre so that you might listen to them and see what the differences are.

Thrash - Thrash metal originated, and remains, NWOBHM[1][2][3] with tempos influenced more predominantly by hardcore punk. Thrash metal songs are usually fairly complex, and frequently contain constant time and tempo changes. Thrash metal replaces melody with brutality and speed, with the use of ample distortion. Thrash was the first subgenre to widely use double bass drums in metal. Vocals in thrash metal are usually yelled, screamed, or snarled, though, at the same time, melodic.

As is true for many of the terms in this list, the moniker "thrash metal" was not always embraced by its supposed representatives; early on, Metallica referred to themselves as "power metal" (conflicting with the above definition of this term). Conversely, many bands, like Kreator, have been labeled as hate metal.[4]

Examples of Bands: Metallica, Megadeth, Exodus, Slayer, Testament, Anthrax, Iced Earth, Trivium

Avant-garde Metal - generally regarded as a cross-genre reference to metal bands or more exactly as a stylistic adjunction with specific traits (just like Progressive-, Symphonic-, Viking-, Pagan-, Folk-, Industrial-, Post-). It is characterized by large amounts of experimentation and by non-standard sounds, instruments, and song structures. Has a general dark atmosphere to it.

Examples of Bands: Celtic Frost, Fleurety, Ved Buens Ende, Moonspell

Black Metal - an extreme metal subgenre. The genre is characterized by an aggressive and abrasive sound, coupled with a dark atmosphere. Black metal artists typically achieve this sound through the use of heavily-distorted guitars, harsh vocals, fast-paced rhythms, and unconventional song structures. An ideological rejection of Judeo-Christian values is often seen as central to black metal.

Examples of Bands: Bathory, Mercyful Fate, Hellhammer, Celtic Frost, Venom, Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir

Classic Metal - Classic metal is a term used to refer to heavy metal bands from the 1970s and 1980s who peaked later than the late 1960s and early 1970s pioneers of the genre, yet before the era when mainstream and underground heavy metal became seriously divided. Classic metal bands are typically characterised by thumping fast basslines, not so fast, heavy but "clean", riffs, extended lead guitar solos, high pitched vocals and anthemic choruses. Classic metal is related to such genres as glam metal, hard rock and the New Wave of British Heavy Metal, and sometimes overlaps with these genres.

Examples of Bands: Accept, Black Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult, Alice Cooper, Def Leppard, Dio, Ozzy Osbourne, Queen, Queensryche, Deep Purple

Death Metal - brutal extremes, with dissonant harmonies, exotic scales, erratic time signature changes and downtuned guitars. Double bass drums are universally implemented, as well as rapid snare drums, 'blast beats', and chaotic cymbal crashes. Vocals are usually growled, but also can be shrieked, yelled, or screamed. Current death metal bands often dabble in neo-classicism, Jazz-fusion, medieval music, or folk and symphonic endeavors. The lyrical content usually deals with the darker, nihilistic side of human imagination, dealing with blood, death, gore, and Satan (like the band Deicide). However, Death Metal is not limited to just blood, death, and gore. It can also range out to philosophy, Mythology (such as the band Nile), and politics.

Examples of Bands - Amon Amarth, Cannibal Corpse, Death

Doom Metal - The subgenre of doom metal differs from others in many ways. Instead of fast paces, pure doom metal uses only mid or slow tempos; the atmosphere emphasizes melancholy feelings. Candlemass is one of the most important bands of the genre and their first album, Epicus Doomicus Metallicus named and defined the genre. Some bands, such as My Dying Bride and Bethlehem, mix death metal or black metal with doom metal using the vocals from death or black and the tempos of doom. Doom metal often uses three octave major scales played on the 7th fret for riffs as well as solos. Several strains of doom also maintain heavy influence from the originators of heavy metal such as Black Sabbath and Deep Purple.

Examples of Bands: Burning Witch, Candlemass, My Dying Bride

Folk Metal = Folk metal embraces metal bands that are influenced by folklore from varying cultures and origins. Originally started as a mixture of folk rock, power metal and black metal, the term has progressed to encompass many folk-themed metal bands, that use folk based lyrical themes and composition, including instrumentation

Exmamples of Bands: Finntroll, Mägo de Oz, In Extremo, and Skyclad.

Glam Metal - Glam metal was one of the most popular styles of metal during the 1980s, often referred to by detractors as "Hair metal". The sound; as the name suggests lies somewhere between the Heavy Metal sound of Black Sabbath, Deep Purple and the Glam rock sound of Sweet and KISS. The bands were famous for their use of guitar solos, energetic frontmen and drummers that did not only have technical ability, but the ability to put on an entertaining show; as per Tommy Lee. Many of the bands donned make-up to achieve an androgynous look, similar to that of some 1970s Glam rock bands.

Examples of Bands: Twisted Sister, Motley Crue, W.A.S.P, Quiet Riot

Gothic Metal - Gothic metal is a genre of heavy metal music that originated during the early 1990s in Europe as an outgrowth of doom-death, a subgenre of doom metal. Musically it combines the guitaring styles of doom metal, black metal and death metal with its own unique use of heavy keyboard atmospherics, romantic and story like lyrics and dual vocalists.

Examples of Bands: Within Temptation, Lacuna Coil

Grindcore - Grindcore is influenced by thrash metal, and also hardcore and punk, taking its name from the "grinding" sound made by the atonal riffs 'grinding' into one another. The style is characterised by a vocal style similar to death metal, rapid fire "blast beats" from double-kick drums and short songs. There are grindcore bands that are more hardcore than metal, but most bands today are heavily influenced by death metal. The heaviness of Grindcore is slightly comparable to the heaviness of death or black metal.

Exmples of Bands - Carcass, **** and Ball Torture, Pig Destroyer, or Napalm Death.

Industrial Metal - Industrial metal (also referred to as noise metal and cyber metal) fuses elements of industrial music and other electronic genres such as House music by using electronic instruments such as Synthesizers and drum machines alongside more purely heavy metal instruments such as Guitars and Bass and a vocal style combining elements of both genres.

Examples of Bands - Tool, Rammstein, Fear Factory

Metalcore - Metalcore is defined usually by bands whose music combines both the raw vocals and beat of American hardcore (generally within the Northeast US) with the guitars more often used in European thrash metal and melodic death metal.

Band Examples: Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall, Atreyu, Haste the Day, and Avenged Sevenfold.

Neo-classical metal - Neo-classical metal incorporates elements from classical music, into the normal heavy metal sound, including tempos, instrument usage, and even melodies.

Band Example: Yngwie J. Malmsteen

Nu Metal - Nu metal is a style that combines elements of heavy metal, hip hop and alternative rock music, with a downtuned guitar technique. There is some contention between metal fans, that, given nu metal's alternative rock ties, calling it a metal genre can be considered a misnomer.

Band Examples: (hed) Planet Earth, Linkin Park, Slipknot, Korn, Deftones, Limp Bizkit and Coal Chamber.

Power Metal - Power metal is more upbeat than most metal genres, taking heavy influence from thrash metal and heavy metal, with more progression replacing the electro-blues style, more virtuosity in the guitar leads and solos, and stressing, jaunty tempos. Power Metal often emphasizes clean, melodic, high-pitched vocals and fast pacing that is mostly driven by double bass drumming and melodic lead guitar. The rhythm guitar is defined by straight power chord progressions. Power metal leans toward the positive, happy side of life, seeking to empower the listener and inspire joy and courage. Power metal usually carries fantasy or science fiction themes.

Band Examples: Nightwish, Jag Panzer, Kamelot, and Manowar.

Progressive metal - Progressive metal is a fusion between progressive rock and heavy metal. It's one of heavy metal's most complex genres (along with other technical metal genres), due to its use of unusual and dynamic time signatures, long compositions, complex compositional structures, and virtuosic instrumental playing, where instrumental solos are detailed and extended. Vocals, if present, are melodic and lyrics are often philosophical, spiritual, and/or political.

Band Examples: Tool, Dream Theater, Children of Bodom, Symphony X, Pain of Salvation, Fates Warning, Evergrey, Savatage, Opeth and Queensrÿche.

Speed metal - Speed metal is a sub-genre of heavy metal that uses traditional heavy metal song structures and riffing but with faster tempos and driving rhythms. It is usually just as melodic as traditional heavy metal. Speed metal emerged when traditional heavy metal bands started writing an occasional fast song. It kicked off as an established genre when bands wrote the majority of their songs in this style. It is considered an offshoot of power metal, and most bands in the genre are considered power metal.

Band Examples: Dragonforce, Gamma Ray, Running Wild

Symphonic metal - Symphonic metal varies in form. It most commonly refers to bands that use orchestral elements in their music. These elements include full orchestras, opera themes, vocals or keyboarding akin to that of opera or symphony music, and a softer and more upbeat nature than other metal genres. The bands Nightwish, Within Temptation, and Epica fall under this sub-genre. Often, symphonic metal can be a combination of other sub-genres of metal.

Band Examples: Rhapsody of Fire

Alternative metal - Alternative metal is a cross-genre term used to describe metal bands and metal influenced bands, which some fans consider to be unique or experimental, as well as bands of the nu metal genre that lack hip hop influence.

Band Example: Tool, System of a Down

Christian metal - Christian metal is another cross-genre grouping which contains metal bands that introduce Christian themes into their lyrics. Often the Christian themes are melded with the subjects of the genre the band is rooted in, often giving a supposedly Christian take on the subject matter.

Band Examples: Zao, Underoath, Blindside, Norma Jean and Disciple.

Epic Metal - Epic metal is a cross-genre name given to bands with fantasy-inspired lyrics and a symphonic feel. Bands of this grouping often belong to gothic metal, power metal and symphonic metal genres

Band Examples: Demons and Wizards, Blind Guardian

Groove metal - Also known as neo-thrash, post-thrash, and half-thrash, it consists of slow or mid-paced and down tuned thrash riffs, blusey guitar solos, greatly emphasized drum work and harsh vocals.

Band Examples: Pantera, Lamb of God, Chimaira

New Wave of British Metal - The 'New Wave of British Heavy Metal' (often abbreviated as NWOBHM) is a term used to describe British heavy metal artists that emerged in the late 1970s/early 1980s in the wake of the 'original wave' of British traditional metal artists, and as a reaction against pop and punk. NWOBHM was hugely popular and has been influential to most metal genres since.

Band Examples: Motorhead, Iron Maiden, Saxon, Judas Priest

Rapcore - Rapcore (sometimes called Rap metal) is a cross-genre reference to metal bands that institute the vocal and lyrical form of rap. It is normally used in association with the term 'alternative metal' to differentiate between nu metal bands that contain hip-hop influence, and those that do not. It is also used occasionally to refer to bands that have worked alongside hip-hop artists on tracks before.

Band Examples: Limp Bizkit, Crazy Town, Linkin Park, P.O.D.

Stoner Metal - Stoner metal refers to bands who use low, bassy riffs and elements of heavy metal, doom metal and psychedelica. The Black Sabbath song "Sweet Leaf" is often regarded as the template for stoner metal. While not all fans are marijuana users, the tag "stoner" has stuck.

Band Examples: Mastadon

Viking metal - Viking metal is a subgenre of black metal, typically with musical compositions more complex than early Norwegian black metal. Having songs with lyrics about vikings or the various histories and legends of the Nordic countries has nothing to do with classifying a band as Viking metal. It is a complex subgenre with subtle cross-over elements, such as native folk music styles or melodeath.

Band Examples: Thyrfing, Ensiferum

I have been listening to Metal since 1986.

I've been listening to metal for about 10 years, and even I'd struggle to tell you the difference. Black metal for me is (in general) the extreme Satanist face painting, such as Mayhem or Dimmu Borgir.

90 percent of these bands have nothing to do with Satan and rather come from countries such as Norway and sing about there countries mythology and folklore.

Negative Creep said:
Thrash is more traditional, played very fast and loose, Slayer or Anthrax. Speed metal would be the same but more technical, Metallica or Megadeth.

Metallica invented Thrash and together with Megadeth led the way in Thrash. They are thrash bands not Speed bands.

Negative Creep said:
Half the time I think people make up new genres just to seem different

That I agree, it is all the Heavy Metal.

Good descriptions, I bow to your knowledge! As there's so many sub-genres, you could argue that just about every band above could be put in a different category. For example, I've never thought Slipknot were Nu metal, you could make a case for them being groove, industrial, thrash or even death metal The metal fraternity is in general way too concerned with sub cultures, and claiming to hate every band from a certain category. For example, if you want to annoy a Black Metal fan, just say 'oh yeah, like Cradle of Filth?' Plus Goths get really uptight when you mention Marilyn Manson.

To me, all that matters is if it sounds good; I'll listen to pretty much anything except black metal, which is just too extreme for me

Good descriptions, I bow to your knowledge!

Been a metal fan since Master of Puppets in 1986! :D

Negative Creep said:
As there's so many sub-genres, you could argue that just about every band above could be put in a different category. For example, I've never thought Slipknot were Nu metal, you could make a case for them being groove, industrial, thrash or even death metal

I agree except for Slipknot. They are clearl Nu Metal, groove, or industrial but not thrash metal. Total different style and sounds nothing like true thrash metal.

But you are correct, you can completely put different bands in different sub genres all together over and over.

Negative Creep said:
The metal fraternity is in general way too concerned with sub cultures, and claiming to hate every band from a certain category.

I too agree that is stupid. The only kind I dont like however is rap/metal. I really can not stand rap and therefore hate the two together.

Negative Creep said:
For example, if you want to annoy a Black Metal fan, just say 'oh yeah, like Cradle of Filth?

Cradle of Filth is black metal however...

They are really good in concert though. I saw them with Slayer 6 years ago and then again last year at the Rock im Park festival.

Negative Creep said:
To me, all that matters is if it sounds good; I'll listen to pretty much anything except black metal, which is just too extreme for me

And that I completely agree with. Though I do like some Black Metal such as Dimmu Borgir and Siebenburgen.

Metallica just for their raw power on stage and song writing abilities, however Mustaine is a great lead guitarist and in my opinion kills Kirk.

But no one ever will eclipse Hetfield with his rythmn abilities.

Speed/thrash scene was truly awesome in the mid 80s!

Thanks for the info. I guess all that makes sense to you metalheads. My ears aren't tuned to pick up those differences. 90% of those bands listed in the various sub-genres all sound the same.

Viking metal??? Come on now...

Metallica just for their raw power on stage and song writing abilities, however Mustaine is a great lead guitarist and in my opinion kills Kirk.

But no one ever will eclipse Hetfield with his rythmn abilities.

Speed/thrash scene was truly awesome in the mid 80s!

I love Mustaine but I still think that Kirk is the better guitarit. Mustiane is probably better in a technical way but Kirk is still the man and I love his playing style.

Having said that, I love both bands.

I did not become a Megadeth fan until the early 90s mostly because of the fact that I was a Metallica fan and therefore you despised Dave at that time. But later I decided Megadeth sounds good too, I love them as well.

Now I just have to decide if I am going to wear my old Kill em All tshirt when I am in front of the stage during the Megadeth show in a few weeks. :lol:

:lol: :lol: Just get a Kill Em All flag and wave it at Dave:oops:

Seriously though as blues influenced player Kirk is awesome because really he has made that style his 'own'. I think things like appegio sweeping and more tapping is done by Mustaine which are considered the staple for any metal lead guitarist.

Kirk still rates in my top ten along with vai, satch and petrucci so he's with the big names as he should be8)

Im actually listening to Metal Militia on a burnt CD,

yes i know Metallica has a problem with me stealing there music, but all of my purchased Metallica CD's were stolen out my car, and to buy 8 CD's at once aint worth it

Sorry Lars youre gonna have to do without my 160.00 :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back