Mid-air collision at Duxford- Mustang lost/ Skyraider damaged! (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I've seen a very good video of the incident and can say this. 4 seconds after the impact the hood is jettissoned. The P-51 starts to nose down and at about 14-15 seconds after impact the pilot abandons the aircraft. No ejector seat and he passes very close to the fin. I think his rapid decision to abandon saved his life.
Steve

Could the reason the Skyraider caught up to the Mustang so quick be due to a mechanical or engine failure in the Mustang? It seemed to me the Mustang slowed way down compared to the Skyraider.

I was thinking along those lines icepac. Jettisoned that canopy pretty quick which makes me think something was going wrong before the collision.

From the hit it made just behind the pilots seat I am surprised it took him so long:shock: I bet he was surprised he still had a tail on. Another poster said he lost elevator control which to me would mean instant decision.

From pilots experiences in the BoB, quick as the pilot was the time he took would enrol him in the guinea pig club if he was lucky.

He had no elevator control and jettisoned the canopy in hopes of doing a wheels up landing. Realizing he had no pitch control at all, he made the right decision to jump. There wan't anything wrong with the Mustang prior to the collision. Remember that these are dissimilar aircraft, so they handle differently. The Skyraider pilot lost sight of his lead. Once you lose visual on your lead, you're in deep guano.

I've just watched the video, and I am incredibly happy and relieved that both pilots are okay.
And I think it is so very very sad that the P-51 was lost. :(

I'm sure he found the stick stuck in pitch and probably found rudder pedals non-moving as well.

He probably popped the canopy right away since canopy release is standard proceedure for all emergency landings in the mustang and probably did so while trying and successfully righting the plane with the one direction of control he had left.

I'll bet he tried the trim wheel before departing the plane and found it also stuck as it seems that all control cables for the tail section were probably pinched by the crushed bulkhead they pass through.

As someone who has experienced control failure that manifested itself by forcefully shoving them full deflection, he's pretty lucky he didn't get the stick shoved into his lap which could have pinned him in the plane.

I've watched 1000's and 1000's of aircraft break and for the life of me can't figure out why the middle bird pitched or broke first ,there must be a reason military formations don't break that way

I've watched 1000's and 1000's of aircraft break and for the life of me can't figure out why the middle bird pitched or broke first ,there must be a reason military formations don't break that way

The how's and the why's don't matter - what matters is that what they discussed and agreed to beforehand was executed.

BTW I was there at the event. To the rude poster on page 1 of this thread, moaning about people's reactions - the airshow was ending. The final elements of the second group were all that were left to land. The show was basically over - most were on their way to the exit, or packing things. Most did not even know something had happened because the commentators didn't mention it until after the event was over and both pilots were confirmed ok! So next time, try and reserve your reaction until you know the facts. Once the event was made public, most people became very vocal with their concerns, and the mood was very sombre. People were literally mourning for the 'Doll.

I can assure you that at that point in the day and on that part of the airfield, what was left was mostly enthusiasts, as your average person had left to beat the traffic. The shock of the accident was horrible.

Last edited:
Airframes is not exatcly the 'rude' person you think he is and I'm sure he was reacting to what came across in the video - not what wasn't. He doesn't need me to defend him, but I'm quite sure his reaction was he is genuinely concerned about the pilots and the planes and the possible lack of that shown in the video.

Airframes is not exatcly the 'rude' person you think he is and I'm sure he was reacting to what came across in the video - not what wasn't. He doesn't need me to defend him, but I'm quite sure his reaction was he is genuinely concerned about the pilots and the planes and the possible lack of that shown in the video.

Fair enough. I've slightly edited my post to reflect your point, and also because my initial reaction was quite angry.

It's called a "pop-top break". Lead usually breaks first in any formation and from the vee formation, that's the only way to break. When executed correctly, it looks pretty cool, but has inherent dangers. But like any other break or formation flying in general, you have to keep visual on your lead. If you lose visual on your lead, it should be briefed with knock it off procedures which need to be followed. The good news on this one is that everyone survived and the lessons learned from this incident helps everyone fly safer.

Immediately following the collision, smoke pours out of the Skyraiders exhaust. Did he bury the throttle to pick up speed?

In reply to Danjam - my apologies if you thought my comments rude, they were not intended to be. However, having worked on fire crew duties at many airshows, I am familiar with the reactions of 'the crowd' during or following such incidents, and well remember being asked by an 'anorak' after one fatal crash if it had been had been 'part of the show'. Having literally just returned to the airfield after digging down to the pilot, and being a signatory witness to the Doctor proclaiming said pilot dead, you can imagine my reactions at the time!

...well remember being asked by an 'anorak' after one fatal crash if it had been 'part of the show'. Having literally just returned to the airfield after digging down to the pilot, and being a signatory witness to the Doctor proclaiming said pilot dead, you can imagine my reactions at the time!

I actually can't imagine how infuriating and upsetting that must have been! I can't stand stupid or ignorant people. I just wanted to clear up any doubt - the people I met with at DX after the collision were concerned and saddened for the way the day ended - but of course relieved and impressed by Rob's bail out.

No problem. I understand that the majority of attendees will have been shocked, but relieved that the crews were OK. Unfortunately, as at any such event of this type, there are those who don't know, or care, what's going on,and don't really have a real interest in the aircraft (or cars at races, for example), and a few who actually hope their will be a major incident.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back