Military Members post pics of you in your uniforms.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

here are a couple of me and some friends from the 3/ABC Abw BTL 750
CIMG0062.gif

CIMG0086.gif

CIMG0095.gif

CIMG0104.gif

CIMG0142.jpg

Hi there Thomas. Got your pm. Cool to see that you are stationed in Ansbach. Were you in Giebelstadt before or did you just get here. Small world that 2 people from the same post end up here.

Believe it or not Ive been here a little over 4 years in Bco 412th (old A co 601st) Yep small world. Can you tell me anything about the history of the Ansbach area I know a little of it but you probably have alot more knoweldge on it.

We actually have a thread here about the history of Ansbach when it was a WW2 German airbase. Erich has posted threads from the airbase with P-51s parked on it (in the area of what is now the commissary and the FARP after it was taken over by the US Army.

For a history of the city here is a wikipedia posting about it:

A Benedictine monastery at the place was founded around 748 by a Franconian noble, Gumbertus, who was later canonized. In the following centuries the monastery and the adjoining village (Onoldsbach) grew to become the town of Ansbach (called a town in 1221 for the first time).

The counts of Oettingen ruled over Ansbach until the Hohenzollern burgraves of Nuremberg took over in 1331. The Hohenzollerns made Ansbach the seat of their dynasty until their acquisition of the electorate of Brandenburg in 1415. However, after the death of Frederick I, Margrave of Brandenburg in 1440 the Franconian cadet branch of the family was not politically united with the main Brandenburg line, remaining independent as "Brandenburg-Ansbach."

Margrave George the Pious introduced the Protestant Reformation to Ansbach in 1528, leading to the secularization of St. Gumbertus Abbey in 1563.

In 1792 Ansbach was annexed by the Hohenzollerns of Prussia. In 1796 the Duke of Zweibrücken, Maximilian Joseph, the posterior Bavarian king Max I. Joseph was exiled to Ansbach after Zweibrücken had been taken by the French. In Ansbach Maximilian von Montgelas wrote an elaborate concept for the future political organisation of Bavaria, which is known as the "Ansbacher Mémoire". In 1806 Prussia ceded Ansbach and the principality of Ansbach to Bavaria in exchange for the Bavarian duchy of Berg.

At the end of the 17th century, the margraves' palace at Ansbach was rebuilt in Baroque style.

Since 1970, Ansbach has enlarged its municipal area by incorporating adjacent communities.

Ansbach was a small town largely by-passed by the Industrial Revolution, an administrative and cultural center. Although all bridges were destroyed, the historical center of Ansbach was spared during World War II and it has kept its baroque character.

Ansbach hosts several units of the U.S. armed forces, associated with German units under NATO. There are three separate U.S. installations: Shipton Kaserne, home to 6th Bn., 52nd Air Defense Artillery; Katterbach Kaserne, where the 1st Infantry Division's 4th Combat Aviation Brigade resides, associated with Bismarck Kaserne, where the post exchange, etc. are located, and Barton Barracks, home to the USAG Ansbach.

Ansbach - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I actually was born and raised in Germany but live most of my life in Stuttgart. My father was an American and my mother German. I joined the army, asked for Germany and ended up getting stationed in Ansbach. Kept extending and FSTEing and after 10 months in Kosovo and 14 months in Iraq decided to get out. I still live in Ansbach while my wife finishes college and I am trying to get a contracting job working on the aircraft which is becoming more difficult as I thought.

Its pretty cool he is based out of our AVIM level maintenance unit for the aircraft here in Ansbach. I never met him though, will have to meet up with him though now.

It really is neat. Did you know that in Hanger 2 there is an entrance to some underground bunkers and stuff. If you go out to the runway you can see the original German runway and the entrances to the underground hangers and bunkers there. It really is an interesting post. There are some interesting sites out there I will have to find the URLs that show posts in Ansbach back in WW2.

Can someone straighten something out for me - are soldiers permitted to wear their cammies out in public, say grocery shopping, or to best buy, or even routine airline travel? I thought they were not, yet I see them out in force wearing tactical gear in public, and I wonder if it's just an unwritten practice that they all do. I've seen all ranks from jr enlisted to field grades do this...

base orders might allow it . When you exited Training establishments to go to more operational units it was more "real world" at least in the CAF it was

Can someone straighten something out for me - are soldiers permitted to wear their cammies out in public, say grocery shopping, or to best buy, or even routine airline travel? I thought they were not, yet I see them out in force wearing tactical gear in public, and I wonder if it's just an unwritten practice that they all do. I've seen all ranks from jr enlisted to field grades do this...

You can go off post in your ACU's, BDU's or Flightsuits and go shopping or whatever as long as you conduct yourself in a military manner.

The (small) German contingent here in Fontainebleau wear their cam kit around town, to the great dislike of the French... Good for them! Anyway, while German combats look good - and German - their Service Dress looks awful. Pity, because the Bundeswehr is far more competent than it used to be 20 years ago.

You can go off post in your ACU's, BDU's or Flightsuits and go shopping or whatever as long as you conduct yourself in a military manner.

Thanks Chris... one of my good friends said that you cannot wear tactical gear out in town - but he's medical corps... they do field training in tents w/ AC and heat... not really the Army! Navy and Marines have much more strict uniform regs than Army.

I was an AME and had been told the P-3 fire extinguishing system to the engines could be a bear to work on.
I was in tailhooks my intire enlistment, don't know what would have been harder to work on.

In 'ye ol' summerdays of 1983:
This is me in german Bundeswehr Olive drab. We are on a video recce mission during an excercise.
In the second photo the one facing the camera is me too.
Following are some shots i was allowed to take with my own camera.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 165
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 135
  • Bw-0002.jpg
    Bw-0002.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 153
  • Bw-PzSprgg03.jpg
    Bw-PzSprgg03.jpg