Misc WWII pics

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thorlifter

Captain
Jun 10, 2004
Knoxville, TN
I thought some of these were a bit unusual. Hope you enjoy them.

Pic 1 - Kawanishi H8K seaplane
Pic 2 - Squadron of Rufe's at Bougainville
Pic 3 - Corsair's in the snow on the USS Philippine Sea
Pic 4 - Rockets fired by a P-47
Pic 5 - Deck crew to the rescue

Attachments

• a.JPG
    a.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 129
  • b.JPG
    b.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 143
  • c.JPG
    c.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 137
  • d.JPG
    d.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 145
  • e.JPG
    e.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 151
Pic 6 - Marines disembark on Tinian
Pic 7 - Tank on Bougainville
Pic 8 - German 280mm K5
Pic 9 - U.S. munitions ship explodes during Sicily invasion
Pic 10 - V1

Attachments

• j.JPG
    j.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 151
  • i.JPG
    i.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 134
  • h.JPG
    h.JPG
    219.6 KB · Views: 167
  • g.JPG
    g.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 157
  • f.JPG
    f.JPG
    161 KB · Views: 148
Pic 11 - Ju-88 with torpedo
Pic 12 - German KARL mortars
Pic 13 - Reloading a KARL

Attachments

• k.JPG
    k.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 130
  • l.JPG
    l.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 132
  • m.JPG
    m.JPG
    163.8 KB · Views: 136
Those are some good pics and thanks for posting them. I do believe the young man is right on that being a He-115; I don't think I've seen that clear of a picture of one with such good detail showing ordinance being loaded and that many crew working on it.
My favorite has got to be pic #5 in the first post. When that F6F landed a nd slid off the edge of the deck it must have been burning furiously...but that crewman jumped right on there. I saw this photo yesterday in an aviation book but it was much darker and some of these details of this photo are missing. If I might add; this is the caption for the photo:
This F6F Hellcat crash-landed on the deck of the USS Enterprise and the catapult officer, Lt. Walter Chewning, climbed up the side of the fuselage to drag the pilot, Ensign Bryon Johnson, to safety.

This book has had some inaccurate details so i hope this is the correct identifcation for that photo #5 in your first post.
Thanks for posting these!
Derek

Thor, the pic "Corsair's in the snow on the USS Philippine Sea" might be from the Korean War. The marking on the fuselage was adopted in 1947 (I think).

Also I can never remmber any carrier operations in the snow in all of the Pacific War.

Pics are very interesting though.

TO

The snow-bound Corsairs are definitely in Korea, as well and the markings and colour-schemes, the give-away is that the middle row of a/c are Skyraiders ;) Great shots Thor, thanks for sharing them! 8)

Thor, the pic "Corsair's in the snow on the USS Philippine Sea" might be from the Korean War. The marking on the fuselage was adopted in 1947 (I think).

Also I can never remmber any carrier operations in the snow in all of the Pacific War.

Pics are very interesting though.

TO

...and there's Skyraiders on the flightdeck! Great pics nonetheless....looking forward to more! 8)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back