Most Beautiful Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'd say the Spitfire has to be in the running for the most beautiful machine ever made. If I had to be more exact, I'd go for a mark I or II with a 3 bladed prop, just for purities sake. Also, the Mustang, Lancaster, bubble canopy Yaks, Fury, Hunter, Blackbird, BF 110, B-29, Ta-152, Mosquito and Canberra could all be described as beautiful in the conventional sense

Cool topic, here are some of favorite looking planes of all time :

A5M4 Claude
72045b.jpg

Ki-61/II Kai Bubbletop Tony
FP1Box.jpg

Ki-45 Kai Tei Toryu (Nick)
Gki45.jpg

Junkers Ju-90 V3 and later (including Ju-290)
Ju90-4.jpg

SAI SM.84
SM%2084.jpg

Yak-3
1144922.jpg

Fw-189 a-1
Fw189A.jpg

McDonnell XP-67 Moonbat
p67-3.jpg

p67-8.jpg

Seafire FR46/47
seafire47-5.jpg

Su-37 or any canard-winged Flanker
su37c.jpg

F-14D Tomcat
1150266.jpg

Best looking fighter, on the ground: P-47, FW190, Zero, I like those muscular looking, wide stanced radial engine fighters.......In the air, It has to be the Spit; so graceful looking, followed by the P-51 and the P-40,( although only when decorated with the sharks teeth.)..
Twin engined bomber: B-26, Betty B-25.....
Four engined bomber B-17E's Fs followed by the Halifax...The B-24 the Lanc look like flying boxcars and the B-29 like a flying torpedo....Dive bomber; The helldiver, Torpedo bomber: The jill followed closely by the Kate..The Avenger looks like a pregnant guppy and the Swordfish, well, it ain't much for looks but it sure got the Bismark.....
Best looking WWII biplane: Gloster Gladiator..
Postwar: B-58 Hustler, nothing else comes close....

Hm. most graceful, I'd say the Spitfire, Mosquito and Rafale, ranked 1st to 3rd in that order.

Coolest looking planes methinks are the CF-105 Arrow, P-38 Lightning and the F4U Corsair, same order.

Is any aircraft ever built better looking than a Spitfire?

If we pick jet only, I would have to think F-86 (any model except the Dog)

Bomber only - B70

Passenger Jet - Concorde

Actually the Marines got the 7F before WWII ended, but don't think they fired a shot. One of very good friends flew them before flying Night duty in Korea in an F4U (and got one of the bed check varmint variety bi-planes in the mountains N Seoul - THAT had to be hairy)

Col Don "Barrel" Fenton RIP, described it as a " stallin', pee in your pants, kinda chase" with flaps down and on ragged edge so that firing his 20mm always induced a stall)

I have far too many on my "most beautiful list" I'm afraid. I like most things that fly up until F-14, -15, -16 and -18 they're nice looking, like many other jets. But if you look at the birds from golden age of flying and WWII and of course some passenger machines like Lockheed Constellation and Boeing 377 Stratocruiser that is talking about pure beauty. WWI fighters etc has their own charm that you can't take away either. I absolutely love the Bf 109F, G and K models, Spitfire with the Merlin engine, I have to admit that I don't like the Griffon version as much. Fw 190-D and the Ta 152H-1, those really say speed and ability like the -D Mustang, -N Thunderbolt and -38L Lightning. I could never compare the beauty of the 109G, Spitfire Mk IX or the Mustang, that to me would be like comparing the 1929-30 Duesenberg Model J, 1933 Rolls Royce Phantom II and 1936 Mercedes 540K and how do you compare those?? Today, those flying thingys with wings are getting too ugly.

rod01-18.jpg

1933_Rolls_Royce_Phantom_II.jpg

mbz.jpg

I could never compare the beauty of the 109G, Spitfire Mk IX or the Mustang, that to me would be like comparing the 1929-30 Duesenberg Model J, 1933 Rolls Royce Phantom II and 1936 Mercedes 540K and how do you compare those?? Today, those flying thingys with wings are getting too ugly.

QUOTE]

Where's the Duesy?

I could never compare the beauty of the 109G, Spitfire Mk IX or the Mustang, that to me would be like comparing the 1929-30 Duesenberg Model J, 1933 Rolls Royce Phantom II and 1936 Mercedes 540K and how do you compare those?? Today, those flying thingys with wings are getting too ugly.

Where's the Duesy?

The top red one is the 1930 Duesenberg Model J. Me? Criminal? I didn't take those cookies...*whipes crumbs off his face*....:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back