Most Devastating Attacker (1 Viewer)

Most Devastating Single Seat, Single Engine Attacker

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

P47, u gotta love 10 rockets and 8 .50s with tons of ammo

I am a Mustang lover but feel that the F4U-4 was THE best fighter of WWII (except for me 262) - it would and could fight at any level as long as it kept its speed up and would have been superb in Europe as well as the Far East.

The 47 was a great airplane but a hog in acceleration and speed on the deck - definitely had to conserve energy against the more agile 109's, 190's, etc.

Both the Tempest and Typhoon were great but not as good in my opinion from the deck to 30,000 feet.

Fw190 series among the very best and maybe the Dora was as good (or better than the F4U-4/5) but not around long enough to prove it.

Tough - opinion based decision

Regards,

Bill

Not a big fan of the P47. But I am a big fan of retirement pay. If I want to draw it, I'd go with the P47.

I think that if you took the best features of the P47D or even better P47N and blended them with the Corsair, and the Tempest then you would have a really great ground attack plane.

I think that Air Cooled Radials are better than Radiator-cooled for ground attack.

The Corsair could lose the wing-crank, the poor forward view and the fabric covered surfaces which were even then anacronistic.

The Tempest could mix-it if necessary than the Jug or even perhaps the Corsair.

Its going to sound crazy, but for strafing and CAS, I would rather have the P-39 or P-63. Its pretty nimble when the heavy items are replaced with more compact and lighter units. Also, 4 .30 cals, 2 .50 cals, and a 37mm gun are not the kind of things that troops want to be introduced to. Yes, I'll admit, neither fighter had as much acclaim as say the P-47, and neither was going to out climb you at higher altittudes, but in strafing, that lead is gonna hurt. Once again, not 20mm, but you have enough ammo for those .30 cals to keep pouring it on for a while.

definitely the typhoon

Welcome to the forum

The Typhoon is a fantastic aircraft but why do u think that it the best at attack?

It is poor decorum to make a bold statement without justification.

Wikipedia said:
Although the rocket projectiles were inaccurate and took some considerable skill to aim properly and allow for the drop after firing, the sheer firepower of just one Typhoon was equivalent to a destroyer's broadside.

On 7 August, the German counter-attack at Mortain, threatening Patton's breakout from the beachhead, was repulsed by 2nd TAF Typhoons, some 81 vehicles destroyed or damaged. In the Vire area, where the British Army was under attack, Typhoons flew 294 sorties on one day, with 2,088 rockets and 80 tons of bombs dispatched. On 24 October 1944, No. 146 Wing of Typhoons attacked a building in Dordrecht where senior German 15th Army staff were meeting; 17 staff officers and 55 other officers were killed.

I may have to go for the Typhoon or failing that the P-47. Ground attack was a pretty dangerous business, which would've suited the Jug's radial layout better, but although 8 50. cals would have been formidable, the Typhoon's cannons would be an ever worse prospect

I'm gonna cheat with Other;

The Enola Gay on one engine and co-pilot bails out- THE one ship with more 'devastation' than all the rest combined delivered in 5 to 10 seconds depending on whether only blast and shock wave is counted.

After that a furball and beauty contest depending on the mission(s) and survivability against the threats. If I have to survive playing in the Mud against other very good fighters I go with the F4U-4 or Tempest and maybe 47D-25 (NOT the N or M which in my opinion is fryed by too many good fighters on the deck). I don't pick the 51 because it was too vulnerable to the golden BB and it wouldn't carry the load.

At the end of the day I pick the F4U as it was at or near the Best as All Around Fighter , and simply Winner if part of the mission said "must also be 'devastating' in Naval Operations as well as Land. And here the Enola Gay wouldn't win either.

interesting the Typhoon when the Fw 190F-8 with four 2cm and Panzerblitz rockets would equal about the same destruction on the ground

P-47 ~ fast, hard-hitting, suprisingly agile for its massive weight, and absorbs battle damage like a sponge!!

and although i think the mustang was one of the greatest prop-driven fighters ever and performed wonderfully as an attacker (apache with a merlin), overall i think the F4U Corsair was the best because it was also a supreme carrier fighter - especially the -4 model.

J-11? The Italian Fiat C.R. 42??

110J11F9-11Satenas41-06-09F7LL.jpg

falcon from sweden please only post serious comments. It is better for you as well...\

The J-11 was no where near the best aircraft of WW2 and especially not in this thread about being the most devestating attacker...

Lets look at some of the facts of your aircraft:

A. It was a bi plane.

b. Maximum speed: 441 km/h (238 kt, 274 mph) at 20,000 ft (thats pretty damn slow)

c. Armament
Guns: First series : Breda SAFAT 7.7 mm (0.303 in)
Later 2 × 12.7 mm (0.500 in) machine guns, 400 rounds/gun each.
Two additional 12.7 mm machine-guns in underwing fairing on some.
Bombs: 200 kg (440 lb) on two wing hardpoints

The Armament sucks dude!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back