Mountain country....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

good to see the Crags in the winter climbed the face/buttress on the left which seems to be the most prominent several times by several routes much farther to the east - north out of the pic is Castle Dome a fun climb and hotter than snot on a doorknob this time of year. A very serious area to climb as the granite is quite rotten but it is out in the middle of nowhere the few trails maybe 4-5 are quite popular other than that you are on your own in a land of enchantment............

now what you need is some close up of the north glaciers on Shasta a still moderately pristine area, the south slopes are covered with wannabe climbers and tourists during summer months

I have been doing some hiking up in the Alaska Range and the Kenai Mountains up here in Alaska. Absolutely beautiful! I also really love the Alps in Europe. Maybe not the highest mountains, but some of the most beautiful mountains and country I have ever seen.

Last Saturday I hiked up the Harding Ice Field Trail to see the Exit Glacier and the Harding Ice Field. Absolutely amazing! Here are some pictures that I took last weekend up here in Alaska.

Attachments

• s1.jpg
    s1.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 139
  • s2.jpg
    s2.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 135
  • s3.jpg
    s3.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 126
  • s4.jpg
    s4.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 127
  • s6.jpg
    s6.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
yes looks very similar to what I was in several years ago in Alaska but that was in the winter climbing serious stuff

great pics Chris, clarity for the summer is not the norm usually low cloud decks on the peaks

Stunning pics mate, stunning! Thanks for sharing!
Glad you like 'em...I have more of the surrounding mountain areas, I'll see about digging some up...also, I'll be going up to Round Mountain this Saturday on business, and will grab some shots then.
Isn't there something in D&RGW country with similar name, Castle Gate or something? :oops:
There's this in the UK: "Castle Crag is a hill in the North Western Fells of the English Lake District. It is the smallest hill included in Alfred Wainwright's influential Pictorial Guide to the Lakeland Fells, the only Wainwright below 1,000 ft"
good to see the Crags in the winter climbed the face/buttress on the left which seems to be the most prominent several times by several routes much farther to the east - north out of the pic is Castle Dome a fun climb and hotter than snot on a doorknob this time of year. A very serious area to climb as the granite is quite rotten but it is out in the middle of nowhere the few trails maybe 4-5 are quite popular other than that you are on your own in a land of enchantment............

now what you need is some close up of the north glaciers on Shasta a still moderately pristine area, the south slopes are covered with wannabe climbers and tourists during summer months
I haven't taken the opportunity to hike the Crags, though I've been all around them, especially up Dog Creek. This shot was actually taken back in March, and we were hit by a sudden snow storm that came out of nowhere. The weather went from a nice, sunny 65° F (18° C) to a cold, windy 38° F (3° C) inside of an hour with alot of snow. That was a classic example of: "When in the mountains, always keep an eye on the weather and be prepared!!"
I've heard that there's petroglyphs up there, and want to hike up there and see them someday.

As far as getting up north of Mount Shasta, I'll have to try, but I just haven't had the time to get up that way, or Mount Lassen, for that matter :(

you want to hit the main trail up Castle Dome to Indian creek to the left-west and then up crap trail system, nice waterfall or there was hidden in the brush/trees this along part of the famous PCT though few use it. climbed in the area year around like Mt. Shasta with only living 125 miles away it's a cinch up and over I-5.

we did a major photo shoot in the Crags back in 1989 for our former clothing line .......

Few from New Zealand . Paparoa Range region

Theres a Corsair somewhere in these hills

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 99
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 97
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Waiting for Summer Jan . Still winter here , low daylight hours , cold temps and more than often rain = Flag wait for summer

It aint far now :D

The eastern Sierras for me, but I love the Grand Canyon and the Rockies as well. Here are some from the eastern Sierras.

Falls above Twin Lakes:
misc010.jpg

Up near the Mammoth Consolidated Mine:
mammoth2003096.jpg

Old Mammoth City site:
tioga034.jpg

Near the top of the Tioga Pass at about 10,000 feet:
IMG_1599.jpg

View from the Bennetville mine adit:
IMG_1568.jpg

The historic mining town of Bodie, now a state historic park:
Bodie008.jpg