My First Attempt at Armour, The Panther Panzer KampfwagenV Ausf A....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Here you go, hope it helps! My vote paintscheme wise goes to the snow. I dunno why, I just love white on military vehicles.

DSCN0163.jpg

DSCN0164.jpg

DSCN0165.jpg

DSCN0166.jpg

DSCN0167.jpg

Les some Panthers from the Melb Expo, the first one fits with your current thoughts.

Attachments

• Panther_421_6425.jpg
    Panther_421_6425.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 318
  • Panther G_6489.jpg
    Panther G_6489.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 155
  • Panther_321_6433.jpg
    Panther_321_6433.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 345
I was thinking you could put it in one of the greatest armoured units of World War II - the Waffen-SS , maybe the Wiking Division.

Or ... if it was a G model you could put her in the 6th Coldstream Guards ...
Cuckoo1.JPG

Her name was Cuckoo and it was captured in the Ardennes Offensive.

pzpanther-op.jpg

5th SS Panzer Division "Wiking" - East Prussia 1944.

Unfortunately is the only picture I have that I know for certain was with the Wiking Division [and it's not very helpful, I know]. You've got me thinking of possible Panther units now, and there's the unit that was issued with night-sights but I cannot remember whether they were Panther Gs or As...

I've been slacking off as of late because of all the college work; my mind is set to modern aircraft systems ... but I'll look through my pictures for you. If you're feeling daring you could make into one from the Ardennes Offensive that was made to look like a M-10 tank destroyer. Or I did find this one in my piling through pictures; a Panther A captured at Praga (Warsaw suburb) in August 1944 , now under the command of Gds. Lt. Sotnitkov of the 8th Guard Tank Corps.

If you certainly want to make it German (original) then tell me, 'cos I'm just throwing out the bizarre ones here.

Attachments

• B-7b.jpg
    B-7b.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 166
  • Panther A 8th Guard Tank Corps.jpg
    Panther A 8th Guard Tank Corps.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 136
5th SS Wiking...sorry eastern front. :lol: How about doing Barkmann's Panther and his Barkmann's Corner? What unit was he in Das Reich? Maybe it was an Ausf A that he had?

"In early July of 1944, Das Reich was moved to Saint Lo to halt the advance of the US Army's 9th and 30th Infantry Divisions and the 3rd Armored Division. On July 8th, Barkmann's Kompanie was a spearhead of Regiment's attack on the advancing American units. On this day, Ernst Barkmann knocked out his first Allied Sherman tank near St.Lo. On July 12th, he destroyed two more Shermans while disabling the third one. During that engagement Barkmann moved his camouflaged Panther to ambush position and awaited for more Allied armor, knocking out three Shermans. After that Ernst Barkmann's tank was hit by an anti-tank gun which caused fire. He decided to abandon his burning Panther and along with his crew he quickly put out the fire. After that engagement his Panther ended up in the workshop for repairs. After a day of rest, in morning of July 14th, Barkmann was ordered to recover four Panthers that had been cut off behind enemy lines. He succeeded in his task and added three more Shermans to his score. On the same day at noon, Ernst Barkmann was ordered by the Regimental Commander SS-Obersturmbannfuhrer Tychsen to recover wounded German soldiers from their American captors. Once again he succeeded and in the evening his own Panther was returned to him from the workshop. On July 26th, Barkmann's Panther suffered from engine problem and was sent to field workshop.When mechanics were working on it, field workshop was attacked by Allied fighter-bombers and Barkmann's Panther was hit in the engine compartment. By the dawn of July 27th, his Panther was repaired but he was cut off from the rest of the Kompanie and was on his way to rejoin it. On his way back, near the village of Le Lorey, Barkmann was stopped by the retreating German infantrymen who reported that Americans were closing in. Ernst Barkmann decided to send two of his men to verify that report. They soon returned with news of American column made up of some 15 Shermans and other vehicles approaching. Then Barkmann moved his tank up the road to the crossroad where he positioned his Panther in the surrounding oak trees, awaiting the enemy. When the American column approached, Ernst Barkmann opened fire, knocking out two leading tanks and then tanker truck.Two Shermans tried to go around burning wreckage that blocked the road and one of them was knocked out followed by the other one.In the response, Americans retreated and called up the tactical fighter support and Barkmann's Panther was damaged and some of the crew members were wounded. Using the element of suprise two Shermans attacked "wounded" Panther but were also knocked out.Barkmann and his crew repaired their Panther and knocked out single Sherman while leaving.His driver managed to moved their damaged Panther to the safety of nearby village of Neufbourg. During that brave engagement often called "Barkmann's Corner", Ernst Barkmann destroyed approximately nine Sherman tanks and many other various vehicles."

The majority of those in France, 1944, were the A-model. I don't know which model Barkmann was in, but going by odds it's going to be an A. Did you read the story posted, Lucky, you answered your own question. Barkmann was in the 2nd SS Panzer Division "Das Reich".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back