My New IL2 Video Research Thread...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Here are several more Brown's and another Priest - can't find Rafferty

Attachments

• 354 Henry Brown [brown].jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 354 Henry Brown [moseley] .JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 354 Woody_Duffy_Brown_apr1945 [brown].jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Ace 354 Priest [priest].jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 57
yep - how about future X-15 test pilot and Vietnam AFC winner for Dhoumer Bridge - Bob White,

or, Jabby Jabara, future number two MiG killer in Korea

or Claiborne Kinnard, Jr - top 355th Strafer, and one of two 355th CO's that went on to command the 4th FG (but no 4th FG CO ever commanded 355th)

Attachments

• 355fg CO Kinnard [marshall].jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 54
  • Combined Ace 354 Jabara [marshall].jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 354 James Jabara_future Jet ace in Korea_WRK_Ceegar Kid_4143.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 44
  • 354 Robert (Bob) White [marshall].jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 41
Wow...awesome pics, Bill!

We should keep 'em for possible future videos...if we're not careful, we might end up rebuilding the entire 8th 9th!

I worked Rafferty's photo over...it should now match the other's images real close.

Attachments

• Rafferty2_cameo.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 52
It's on it's way!

I would be interested to see the numbers, because knowing the Luftwaffe still had plenty of fight left in it there towards the end, it did account for a good number of losses. But reading (and hearing first-hand) the accounts of the deadly flak, has always made me wonder what the loss ratio was.

Now next up are the 4 B-24s...While doing a little research, I came across a comment about EC-Q by Master Sergeant Ernest H. Barber,
392nd Bomb Group - 578th Bomb Squadron:

From the serial on EC-Q, 42-50358, it would appear to be a newer machine (only 12 missions by 11Sept44), so it should be all metal. I'll see what I can do about finding a shot of it's noseart...

Dave, can u send me the new Rafferty pilot skin????

I would say that flak was responsible for more US fighter losses than the Luftwaffe....

I say you are right. I am still scrubbing numbers from three different sources - all in minor conflict with each other - but...

8th FC Losses
Total = 2308
Air to air = 644 = 28%
Strafing = 890 = 38.5%
All Oth. = 774 = 33.5% (includes Mechanical, Fuel, Weather, Accidents)

8th BC definitely lost far more to flak than fighters from 1944 forward. By a large margin from Oct 1944 through April 1945.

I know the game doesn't do flak any justice, but when the flak opens up, I sure get nervous...that stuff is evil...

As far as the B-24s go, I have a full list of the 578th in hand now, and am getting ready to get 4 painted up.

There were 7 ships from the 578th that day, 2 were lost, and a number had crewmembers killed or wounded.

42-50313 #313 EC-W "Wabash Cannonball"
Pilot 1Lt. W. Sturm
Copilot 2Lt. B. Jurczyn

41-29002 #002 EC-T
Pilot 2Lt. E. Twining
Copilot 2Lt. A. Duff

42-50358 #358 EC-Q "Pleasure Bent" ← Will be one of the 4 skins
Pilot 2Lt. H. Jones
Copilot 2Lt. A. Cicora
Shot down near Koblenz

41-28852 #852 EC-Y
Pilot 2Lt. R. Tays
Copilot F/O T. Ferguson

42-7466 #466 EC-N "Ford's Folly"
Pilot 1Lt. C. Rudd
Copilot 2Lt. R. Benson
Shot down over Koblenz

42-94966 #966 EC-E "Madam Shoo-Shoo"
Pilot 2Lt. R. Johnson
Copilot 2Lt. J. Cook

42-94764 #764 EC-N "Bad Penny"
Pilot 2Lt. H. McClellan
Copilot 2Lt. D. Carleton
Damaged by fighter attacks

Now I'm not sure why there's two N-bars...I thought maybe one was N and the other was N-bar, but aparently not...

I'll just use one and not the other, then...

I have found errors in the MECC but the Allendorf location matches up fairly well with Geissen to Marburg where the LW calims for B-24 occur for both JG300 and JG53

you guys are noting that oxygen masks need to be worn by both sides while in combat ? .....though I confess I have not noted at just what altitudes the pilots were flying on this mission

Yea Erich, the game automatically puts on the masks once u reach atltitude....

Once I drop down to get the 2nd and 3rd kills, the mask will be off... Going to use the form up run over the Channel for the closeups and what not....

That is probably the way it happened - all in the fights returned at low to medium lowa altitude

OK, been super busy on this bitch... Got the opening pretty much set... Heres a short sample for u to approve Bill.... I think the first 3 still frames work good....

Ive already got Jane III into air vid-wise and ready to do the join up and then flight over the Dover Cliffs.... The join up and formation flight over the Channel took me 3 hours to perfect....

Bill, Dave, ur comments are needed....

Attachments

• 354 SAMPLE.wmv
    11.6 MB · Views: 58

Comment - Excellent

Users who are viewing this thread