My New IL2 Video Research Thread...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Oh yeah!

This is off to a great start!

I like the opening stills, and really, the text isn't hard to read at all. I like it alot!

Now, I have a question...what map are you using for Steeplemorden? The only field that I can find so far, that matches yours, is on the top of the Ardennes Summer map...but it sits atop a knoll, and doesn't match yours all that closely.

Looking good, Les, but I'll have to agree with Becca here. The contrast between the fonts and some of the backgrounds, like the first pic and the B&W mustang is not high enough. Therefore harder to read. Maybe you should use a little dropshadow on those?

Been busy on my other little projects, but got some more work done on the video last couple days....

Ive now completed the formation formup over the Channel, including the pilot/plane closeups and am ready for the B-24 and 109G skins Dave.... The time has come...

The very next video section will be a quick shot of the B-24 formation, then closeup of one of them with others in background, then Bills Dad closing on B024's, followed up by the 109 formation heading for the bombers.... Its about time to start getting crazy with it.....

Im pretty damn pleased how its come out so far, great flow, and its telling the story like a champ....

I've been running a bit behind...seems like this year has been a real effin' mess from the git-go...

However, I did get an opportunity to go flying today, been forever since I've been up...God I miss that. Had a stiff wind out of the north that buffeted us until we cleared about 2,500 then it was fairly smooth until we got by the mountains to the west of town. Had to climb to about 4,700 and it was rough the whole time.

All in all, a good run. Got some good photos, even. I'll have to post them in the Off-Topic section when I get a chance.
*edit* There Here: http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/personal-gallery/graugeist-s-photos-17650.html

Anyway, I have three of the four Libs ironed out. Had a hell of a time figuring out a glitch in the skin. Since these were originally designed for AI only, they left a few flaws in them, or perhaps weren't aware of them. But I figured out the rear turret's skinning so it'll be OD along with the rest of the aircraft. There's also a glitch in the bombadier's glazing, but that's in the game, and not real noticable from any real distance. I researched the heck out of these skins, and found that there is really little info on the B-24s unlike the fighters. I guess there's more "glory" for a gunfighter than a bomb-driver...But since EC-Q is pivotal to this story, I wanted it to be as accurate as possible. The others are technically historically correct based on the small fragments of info gathered.

The final lineup I settled on, along with EC-Q (42-50358 - Pleasure Bent) are:
EC-B 42-94764 "Bad Penny"
EC-T 41-29002
EC-Y 41-28852

There was too much conflicting info on EC-E (Madam Shoo-Shoo), EC-W (Wabash Cannonball) and EC-N (Ford's Folly), so those were shelved in favor of the three I mentioned above.

Pleasure Bent is the only one that is natural finish and it's a real b!tch getting the panels to a "3D" state. I'm going to try and have it done tomorrow (Sunday) though...

It appears that summer of '44 was a transitional period for the bombers as well as the fighters. Much like the 354th having various models of the P-51 and in various finishes, the 578th had older B-24s mixed in with the newer ones. So you'll see various camo schemes (wavey margin, even margin) or no camo at all...

Great to hear it man, they look far better than any other B-24 skin Ive seen, and accurate as hell.... Great stuff on the research.... Thanks again....
Have u sent them??? Gotta check my mail...........

I have a pic of Wabash if it helps at all....

Attachments

• ~578th Wabash Cannon Ball.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 47
The first few times it happened to me, I was pissed...then I realized it was actually funny as hell to watch...it's always one plane that just moves a certain way, and then they all go haywire...looks kinda like a buncha monkeys trying to screw a football

And Monday ended up on a positive note!

EC-Q is done! I gave you the lowdown in the email...but considering the gaps in the info, I think we're coming out way ahead of the game in this research!

And here's a screenshot of "Pleasure Bent"...

Attachments

• EC-Q1.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 52
Super work. WR-B would have had twin spitfire mirrors, ditto WR-Z and E,, but nobody would ever know.

All the B's would have the single centerline spit mirror.

I am really impressed with what you guys have put together

Thanks Bill.... Still tweaking some of the game clips and getting the AI aircraft to cooperate for the camera angles I want.....

Pain in the ass....

The mirrors are not going to show externally Bill, I tried a couple different Mods for the game and no go.... I can get one rounded one when looking from the pilots seat, but thats the best the game will do....

Users who are viewing this thread