My turn for help on paints!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
As most of you know, I normally use enamels, have done for over 40 years!
But I'm considering trying acrylics, probably Tamiya and/or Vallejo. I have very little experience of acrylics, so, can you tell me if the above brands will thin with water acceptably (for airbrush use) or, if not, what's a reccommended thinner? Thanks,
Terry.

Thanks guys, I'll give Tamiya a try first, as my local model shop has them in stock. Going to try them on the 21st Century '109.

I have only recently used Testors Model Masters acrylic. I too have been an "old man enamel user". I like what I have used so far. The blacks that I have used need a little care to ensure you don't over thin them, but with my little experience I have seen nothing but positive.

And the clean up is WOW!!!! :thumbup:

Hi Terry

My experience with Tamiya acrylics is magic ,I didn't thin them at all and they were awesome but to increase the paint to money ratio you could of course thin them

Never tried it myself ,best of luck

ive just found a local shop selling vallejo paint, was gonna ask if i should swap to them or stick to humbrol for use with a brush as they are the same price ?

Thanks again guys. And Matt, nice to hear the clean up is good!
I'll probably still stay with Humbrol enamels for most of my stuff, (brushing) old habits die hard, but will try Tamiya or Valejjo, as I can get them, for my airbrushes.
If you hear shouting and curses, you know I fouled up on the first attempt!

Hallo Terry,

There my three cents,
For almost all acrylic paints water is a good thinner.Some of these like an alcohol as it.I agree with Wayne Tamiya acrylics are one of the best.
Some additional infos.Acrylic colours like peeling off with the masking tape.To avoid the effect you neeed to have a primer applied before you use paints.To make it better the model should be washed up with warm water and soap.It can be some drops of any liquid for dish washing.As a primer you can use a Humbrol enamel ( light grey for instance.)

As I've got it 'in stock', I'll probably spray on Humbrol Light Aircraft Grey'. I'll only do one coat, unless more is required around sanded koints etc.,as I think this will probably be sufficient?

Thanks again, Wojtek! Yes, I normally wash my models first, and I'll definitely have to with this one, as there is quite a bit of release agent coating it, plus, I'll need to wash-out the sanded-off Superglue dust.
All I need now is Tamiya or Vallejo colour numbers for the RLM colours, so I'll ask Jan, as he recently obtained all the neccessary info.
Hope to get some more done on the Gustav later tonight, with a view to the first stages of painting later in the week. Will post more progress shots when I can.
Terry.

Here you are Vallejo equivalents for RLM of both Air and Colour series.

With Tamiya paints there is a problem because many sources suggest mixing these in order to get the RLM colours.I uploaded some of these mixtures here as well.

Attachments

• RLM Vallejo.zip
    4.6 KB · Views: 119
  • RLM Tamiya.zip
    2.6 KB · Views: 117
Thanks Lucky, got your PM. Wojtek, what can I say? Brilliant, I can place an order tomorrow for Vallejo and get a couple of samples of Tamiya from the model shop near me.
Thanks very much for your combined efforts.
What a terrific site this is!!!
Terry.

If I'm not too late, I will add some of my Tamiya mixes when I get home from work tonight....refer my Fw190A-5 in the Award winning model thread.

Terry are you going to paint it in the 74/75/76 colours?

Have you decided on markings yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back