My visit to Kitty Hawk with oldcrowcv63 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Marcel

rotartsinimdA
Staff
Admin
Mod
Sep 19, 2006
Dordrecht
www.redbeatband.nl
So here some pictures of my visit to Kitty Hawk. We visited the Wright monument and the spot where they did their first flight.
If you're ever in the neighborhood. you really should visit this, after all, it is the place where it all began. They have a nice little visitors center where the story of the brothers is told to you in a very entertaining way. The place where they took of and the places they landed on those 4 flights are marked with stones.
Anyway, here some pictures:

A replica of the first Flyer in the visitors center
20160411_0065.jpg

The replica's controls are functioning. The guy who did the lecture operates the elevator here. He also showed the warp mechanism which the brothers used as aileron.
20160411_0070.jpg

Replica of the brother's hangar, next to it, the shed they lived in. The replicas stand at the spot where the original ones once stood.
20160411_0071.jpg

This pipe I am pointing at, sticking out of the ground, is the original well that Wilbur drilled into the ground for fresh water. Thus prove that the replica sheds are at the right spot.
20160411_0072.jpg

The spot where they took off. I'm not sure if the rail is the original one or a replica, but the brothers used a similar rail as a runway to take off from. The stone in the front marks the spot where the flyer went into the air. In the back you see 4 other stones, marking the distance of each flight. The first stone really doesn't look a huge distance. I could almost jump that one. The list flight of the day, made by Wilbur, is significantly longer than the 3 earlier flights. It's prove that the brothers learned fast how to handle the aircraft.
20160411_0076.jpg

The "Kill Devil Hill", it was the dune on which they performed their glider trials from in the years 1900 - 1902. Back then it was all sand. The hill has been preserved by putting vegetation on it and they put a monument on top now.
20160411_0077.jpg

Last edited:
Part 2

Me at the Wright monument on top of the Kill Devil Hill, the woman in the back is just the woman in the back.
20160411_0083.jpg

This is oldcrowcv63 with Orville. He is a great guy and I feel we became friends during the short time I visited him.
20160411_0086.jpg

An overview of the terrain from the top of the Kill Devil Hill. You can see the visitors center, the sheds and the stones marking the 4 flights from here. To the left, behind the vegetation, there is a little runway for modern aircraft.
20160411_0089.jpg

Me and oldcrowcv63 at the monument.
20160411_0091.jpg

Stone marking the 4th flight. 852 feet is quite a distance.
20160411_0095.jpg

After we left, we had lunch at a restaurant which is exactly at the spot where the lifesaving station once stood. In one corner they had this plate. I think it speaks for itself.
20160411_0110.jpg

Last edited:
Great stuff Marcel and good to see pics of you and Oldcrow. Terrific pics of the location, too. I went there many years ago, but the weather was terrible - in fact it was December 17 2003.

Where did you stay? We were in Buxton. I love the Outer Banks; beautiful area.

Thanks.

I stayed with Malcolm in Camden.
I thought we were rather lucky with the weather. It was slightly cold, but then again, I am used to that. Wind was bad. Malcolm and I had first planned to fly but it was way too windy, so we ended up driving instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back