My WW2 photos/Vids album

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nice Jags pic.
That Spit is certainly a MkV - possibly a test bed for the engine and prop, but could also be a post-war shot.
In the 1980's, the BBMF had four-blade props fitted to their MkII and MkV, as the engines and props were all that were available at that time.

Well obviously its not a mk IX. Also remember some of the mk Vc's sent to Malta were fitted with X4mm cannon. So as i said, there were plenty of modifications done during the war for various reasons. Not wanting to come across as being funny with regard to you guys comments, but down my way its called knit picking, or as a brummie would say, stating the bleeding obvious lol

One interesting interview i seen told how an ex beau pilot tried a prototype RR Merlin powered beau. But apparently this ruined the flight characteristics and only one was ever converted but never flown in combat.

Many more than one and almost all of the 600+ were flown in combat - see below. I would think your quoted beau pilot might have flown one of the two Mk V's and the turret was what ruined the flight characteristics given the known horizontal and vertical stability problems the type had as the turret would have aggravated those

From wiki
Beaufighter Mk IIF -- however well the Beaufighter performed, the Short Stirling bomber programme by late 1941 had a higher priority for the Hercules engine, and the Rolls-Royce Merlin XX-powered Mk IIF night fighter was the result
Beaufighter Mk III/IV -- The Mark III and Mark IV were to be Hercules and Merlin powered Beaufighters with a new, slimmer fuselage, carrying an armament of six cannons and six machine guns that improved performance. The necessary costs of the changes to the production line led to the curtailing of the marks.[37]
Beaufighter Mk V -- the Vs had a Boulton Paul turret with four 0.303 in (7.7 mm) machine guns mounted aft of the cockpit supplanting one pair of cannons and the wing-mounted machine guns. Only two (Merlin-engined) Mk Vs were built. When tested by the A&AEE, R2274 was capable of 302 mph at 19,000 ft.[38]
Beaufighter Australian experimental classes -- twin Merlin engines; 40mm Bofors gun fitted

According to Bristol Beaufighter Twin-Engine Heavy Fighter / Night-Fighter Aircraft - United Kingdom Mk IIF - Fitted with Rolls-Royce Merlin XX inline engines developing 1,280 horsepower each; 597 produced.

Last edited:
If you were to ask 100 people which US four engine bomber was first to complete a tour of 25 missions in the E.T.O., i bet 99 of them would say Memphis Belle right? Except any real aircraft enthusiast knows this is not quite true.
Infact the first US four engine bomber to complete a 25 mission tour of duty was a B-24 named Hot Stuff. The crew of hot stuff completed this feat on 7th Feb 1943. A full three and a half months before the Belle. So why did we end up with a film being made about the B-17 when it clearly should have been a B-24. Answers on a postcard....

Users who are viewing this thread