Mystery Ju88

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

GrauGeist

Generalfeldmarschall zur Luftschiff Abteilung
Ok, here's something I came across and haven't heard (or seen) anything like it before...

I was looking up the MG81 and up pops this photo of a Ju88 with an array of MG81s in the nose...

Has anyone seen something like this before and if so, what's the story?

JU88-MG81x4.jpg

Looks like the prototype fighter version - Ju88A-1/U-16. The weapons are MG17s.
Then this widens the mystery a little then...those sure look like mounted MG81s, look closely at the muzzle and the perforations in the barrel shrouds...

Here's a MG81 and MG17 for comparison:

MG17
MG17[792x57].jpg

MG81
MG81[792x57].jpg

The versions it might be are....

Ju 88A-13 was a close support A-4 with more armour and 16 forward firing MGs.

Ju 88H-2 has 6 forward MGs.

but interesting enough the Ju 88P-1 used a MG81 armed by the pilot for sighting!

just my 2 cents....

I must change my original thought there are both MG 17's as well as MG 81 singles fitted. used for ground attack against Soviet MT's and possibly shipping though the latter the C version fitted with several 2cm cannon would be better fitted.

The caption in the book I took the picture from ( same pic posted by Snautzer) states MG17s, but the flash suppressors do look more like those on the MG 81. Whichever, it seems to be the -U/16 prototype. Using MG 81s would make sense, as the receiver would take up less room in the nose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back