Nakajima Saiun prototype in a hangar dio (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wow!
The shear scale of the project is impressive. Matched only by the consummate skill in the execution.
Inspirational craftsmanship at its finest.
I'm very much enjoying this diorama.
Thanks for posting.
Dan

:shock::shock::shock::shock:
Amazing, simply amazing

John
Gianni i'm still waiting for that coffee in Athina!! lol!!
Thank you all gentlemen for your encouraging comments!!
There'll soon be an update where styrene modeling gives way to heavy spraying wokload!!
Cheers,
Panagiotis.

Just fantastic Panagiotis!!! I always learn something looking at your work.

Many apologies for not posting this info sooner, although actually I did write everything out twice already, only to have it all disappear suddenly when I wanted to post... bloody annoying!!!
(This time I took Ivett's advice and wrote it on a word document first...) Hope you find it as interesting as I did!
........................................................................................................................................................................

My friend Hirohiko was here last month, and during the course of a great day I was able to ask him a little about his Uncle (not Grandfather as I'd remembered).

His name was Yasuo Fukuda, and he was a young man when appointed the task of leading the C6N1 design team with colleague Yoshizo Yamamoto.
Hirohiko mentioned this was his first big project for Nakajima, though according to the net he was also co-chief designer of the earlier B4N1 design.
As Hirohiko emphasized, he was part of the design TEAM, and worked on all aspects of the aircraft's design with his colleagues.

Hirohiko hadn't heard of the pact Shinpachi mentioned. His uncle loved designing, and spoke freely of his work, the Sai-un being his proudest achievement.
He enjoyed a close personal friendship with Chikuhei Nakajima himself, company co-founder and owner, and was very sorry when Nakajima ceased to produce aircraft at war's end.

(Something else I learnt from him – Nakajima did continue to design and produce after the war, if not in name: the company divided into 2 major parts, becoming SUBARU and FUJI respectively; and the section that made the instrument panels became watch makers CITIZEN!)

Yasuo himself continued with his designs after the war, becoming involved in efficient oil-pump systems for Diesel locomotive engines if I remember correctly, until his untimely death in 1963 to cancer. :(

Yasuo's father (Hirohiko's grandfather) was Ichiro Fukuda, a former Rear Admiral in the Imperial Japanese Navy.
He had served in the Russo-Japanese war of 1904-05, but was later retired when the IJN reduced it's fleet.
He continued his interest in naval matters, and played a large role in Japanese submarine development, our own Shinpachi mentioning he is famous in Japan for his many books on the subject.

He also later became an accomplished Chinese Character painter, and lived to the amazing age of 103 years (!), with full mental faculties intact.
When I asked Hirohiko his grandfather's secret to longevity, his answer was this:
'Two things. The first - he was deaf in one ear, not hearing all the negative things in the world. The second, being retired early. He had time to do the things he loved.' :)

Full respect to both men, and also to the rest of Hirohiko's family, involved as they are in the betterment of mankind in various ways (predominently medicinal research and helping the mentally ill).

:salute:

Last edited:
Extremely interesting information A4K! Thank you for sharing!!

Thank you all my friends for your comments..I've really fallen behind with my updates so let me get goin'....

Paint time! I washed the cardboard screen..

DSC01719.gif

Didn't quite like the effect so I sprayed the area using acrylics..

DSC01723.gif

DSC01757.gif

painted the tarpaulin

161.gif

some repairwork on the Myrt

055.gif

053.gif

049-1.gif

038-2.gif

a small gathering

070.gif

067-1.gif

DSC01780.gif

DSC01808.gif

The truss assembly called for a spraying marathon so here it goes!

0332.gif

056-2.gif

0522.gif

Myrting again!!..

4441.gif

4438.gif

4433.gif

What about some jigging,remember it???

4455.gif

4458.gif

4502.gif

4509.gif

After waiting for weeks the corrugated Plastruct ABS styrene came from the US..

DSC01824.gif

time to start measuring EVERYTHING!

DSC01844.gif

However..Despite the good look of the styrene sheet I decided to put on the corrugated siding in layers as seen here behind this lovely Ginga..

0063.gif

DSC01886.gif

DSC01890.gif

DSC01941.gif

DSC01924.gif

DSC01893.gif

040-1.gif

007.gif

038-6.gif

DSC01989.gif

Well, that is all for now gentlemen!! Hope to come back soon!! Elections here in Greece come and go as you may have already been informed!!!!...

Cheers,

Panagiotis.

Thank you all for your flattering comments!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back