NC Dept. of Education-US history starts in 1877

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

diddyriddick

Staff Sergeant
May 29, 2009
Hamlet, NC, US
When I saw this, I was speechless; as ya'll know, that takes some doing. In an effort to increase the depth of modern US history in high school students, the NC Dept. of Education has decided that 11th grade history curriculum will no longer cover anything earlier than 1877 and the administration of Rutherford B. Hayes.

No Revolution.

No Civil War.

I urge all of my Tarheel companions on this site to make their voices heard. Write your State Senators/Reps.

North Carolina Schools May Cut Chunk Out of U.S. History Lessons - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

:angry4:

Good thing for them that I don't live in NC with a kid in school. I would be their worst nightmare!

Revisionist, multi-cultural history is bad enough. Now we've got "Eliminate History" in the public schools.

TO

While I understand what their idea is, having a more indepth look in history, I certainly hope they'll emphasize US history before 1877 in the earlier years. Taking US history in high school, I agree that we spent more time on the 18th and 19th centuries then the 20th and 21st.

I'm assuming as the article states the earler history is taught in other grades

Understood, PB. And earlier history is taught in Jr. High School. Here is my problem, though. Given that many adults have trouble understanding the Revolution and ACW, why would we think that adolescents can?

The teaching of American history is ongoing and should be repetitive. Back in the day American history (at least in my schools) was taught in 4th, 5th, 7th 8th grades. Then in High School Jr. and Sr. year.

The early years in school were basic classes with more in depth learning as the students got older.

Early American history can't be taught in the early grades only, and then never mentioned again. That's not responsible education as far as I'm concerned.

And if you talk to young people today, you will find that they know very little about American history. If the NC Department of Ed. has it's way, they'll know even less.

TO

Last edited:
Get rid of all those pesky white guys that keep showing up in History. Might as well just have the students read some crap from Howard Zinn and really screw the past up.

Get rid of all those pesky white guys that keep showing up in History. Might as well just have the students read some crap from Howard Zinn and really screw the past up.

Facts are facts. The founding fathers were white males. The revisionists just hate that part of our history.

TO

Oh please Tim, do tell. I'm not a big fan of Howard Zinn myself, and any criticism on him I will find very appreciative. Not even sure why there is a big craze over him in the first place. :rolleyes:
(I don't think we can really call him a true historian, either)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back