New Guy with a question

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframe got it right.

Here's a video that shows it. Look at time 1:30 to 1:40 in the video. You will see the right gear fold up on takeoff by buckling outward at the knee or top hinge as the main part of the strut folds inwards.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Sf5ygd_hAA

To Colin 1 On you beautiful photo (thanks) look at the upper Yoke, through the ears on it, see the pivot pin? That yoke moves outboard as the hydurlic strut pulls the main leg inward this effectivly shorten the gear when stowed. I have been looking for that much detail in all this search. I'm designing the gear retract machinery for a large Model of this plane that will weigh so 70 + lbs. Such large gear as this doesn't exist, except custom made. I am also a retired toolmaker /Engineer.

Thanks to Wurger for the resize job, I didn't know that you could resize a photo after it was posted. You post you location as Poland. But your use of the term "Mate" says Australia.

FOG

Last edited:
Thanks to Wurger for the resize job, I didn't know that you could resize a photo after it was posted. You post you location as Poland. But your use of the term "Mate" says Australia.

FOG

You'r welcome. :)

As far as using of the term "Mate" is concerned..being not a native I have to be much flexible than others.:lol:

To Colin1 on your beautiful photo (thanks) look at the upper Yoke, through the ears on it, see the pivot pin? That yoke moves outboard as the hydraulic strut pulls the main leg inward this effectively shortens the gear when stowed
Fog
there's nothing unconventional about the way the F8F tucks its wheels in. Your description is probably the culprit for any misunderstanding...

..it has a knee bend that folds outward while the wheel swings inward
...knee bend?

I have been looking for that much detail in all this search. I'm designing the gear retract machinery for a large model of this plane that will weigh so 70 + lbs. Such large gear as this doesn't exist, except custom made. I am also a retired toolmaker/Engineer
Sorry if this sounds a bit off but I'm a little bemused that you couldn't even identify the subject of what sounds like a complex and involved project, with an example sat in front of you :)

Good luck with it and keep us posted with pics whenever possible

Now I see what you are talking about.

The gear and flaps are hydraulically actuated, and have some interesting features. The 15-foot prop is so big, and the airplane so short, the gear had to be made in size "extra-long." This presented an interesting design challenge, in that the gear must be mounted far enough out on the wing to allow the gear to swing inwards. The further out on the wing the gear is mounted, the more structure is required, and more structure means more weight. Grumman came up with an interesting design where the gear leg pivots about a foot down from the wing, with the top moving outwards, and the wheel swinging up and in.

pp39_main_gear.jpg

It's more of a pivot than a knee, but I see what you mean now.

Thanks to all you guys for the help in solveing my problem. My friend remembered the early F8Fs having a razorback , that's what led us to think that model was something else.
I was was just a tyke when Pearl Harbor happened but during the Pacific war I was very knowledgeable about the fighter planes. All the boys were.
That was a long time ago, I was a modeler then but there was a long span in between then and now. I currently fly large sport gas powered planes.
I'm a retired Engineer and Toolmaker with a shop out back that I help others in the craft with the machined bits.
Here's a picture of the only war bird I have, and me.

FOG AKA Bill

BTW FOG = Fast Old Guy from my MC racing days

Attachments

• 600_!50 Mustang 004.jpg
    600_!50 Mustang 004.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
BTW FOG = Fast Old Guy from my MC racing days
Does MC mean motor car or motor cycle?
We've got a couple of guys on here that run race rigs (cars)
I've got a couple of cars that I mess with, I've got the engine out of one for a winter rebuild but I don't race them

Well FOG, if your only gonna have One, that's the One to have!!!!!!!! but it needs a 4 bladed prop! .... cheers, Bill from CA now in Oz.........

Attachments

• small 1.jpg
    small 1.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back