New project: Revell P-40B

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I tried a few different things when painting the 'Hawk. First, I tried taping off the camo pattern, didn't like it. Then I tried taping, then cutting the tape in the camo pattern, didn't like that either (BIG scratches in the model now.......). Finally, I tried to get to know my airbrush a little better and learn to control it with a finer touch. So I just experimented and free-handed a simple pattern. THAT worked at least to an acceptable point.

My goal with this model is not so much to do a great job, but to try out different modeling and painting techniques---to that end I think I'm getting somewhere.............

The bottom color is Lichtgrau, I had it mixed up from another model long ago. I used it because I have seen differing references on color of the Flying Tiger planes. Some had the bottom as being sky blue, others had differing shades of grey. So I used what I had on hand. The top colors are Olive Drab and a light brown I mixed from flat tan and flat brown.

Next will be decals and doo-dads

tom

Attachments

• Paint 1.jpg
    Paint 1.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 78
  • Paint 2.jpg
    Paint 2.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 75
  • Paint 3.jpg
    Paint 3.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 76
  • Paint 4.jpg
    Paint 4.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 79
Nice job Tom. Experimentation is all worth it in the end. BTW, if you want a simialr product to Cold Weld, without the skunk smell, then try Milliput. It's a two part epoxy putty, which can be moulded, tapped, drilled, sanded, filed etc, and blends very smoothly. It's a British product (well, Welsh, to be exact!), and is available from some outlets in the 'States. I've used it for well over thirty years, and can't find a fault with it. When it sets, it's rock hard, and I once made a temporary filling for a tooth with it, which lasted about five years!!

I was putting the decals on last night and something popped up in my mind. I distinctly remember the outer rays or triangles on the Chinese "sunburst" (or whatever) roundel insignia as having a definite tear-drop shape on the models I have done in the past. Yet the decals in this model have a definite triangle as do any picture that I can find on the 'net.

Is it just me or does anyone else remember the tear-drop shapted rays?

tom

Not sure tom.. but that camo looks great! Can't wait to see you give it life with the decals -

Got the decals (there aren't many) installed. They seem thick, or stiff, compared to the ones in the Eduard kits. It's hard to get them to conform to the surface. The shark mouth really busted my brinnies, never did get it as I wanted. Anyhoo, what's left is final assembly and weathering, etc.

tom

Attachments

• Today 3.jpg
    Today 3.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 49
  • Today 2.jpg
    Today 2.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 50
  • Today 1.jpg
    Today 1.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 44
A few pics of the latest progress.......

Attachments

• latest 1.jpg
    latest 1.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 54
  • latest 2.jpg
    latest 2.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 51
  • latest 3.jpg
    latest 3.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 46
  • latest 4.jpg
    latest 4.jpg