New Workbench ideas........

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

B-17engineer

Colonel
Dec 9, 2007
Revis Island.
Hey all.

For my P-40 right now, I am working on my desk, which was bought for homework :oops: and my mom is not a happy person

My dad, has promised me a dedicated room in the house (The back room in the basement, which isn't used for anything, so not that big of a deal.) for building my models, and when we get it redone in the near future, he says to look for a good workbench to put down there.

Any ideas for some reasonably priced?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. Even simpler, go to the local DIY store, and get a length of Conti Board (melamine covered MDF, probably different brand names in the USA) to whatever size you want, and a couple of brackets and some 2 x2 timber. Make the table the size you want, screw it to the wall on the brackets and support it with legs made from the timber. This way, you could have an 'L' shape work space, 'U' shaped, any shape, any size, for less than the price of a cheap desk or table. And it'll clean easy too. That's what I did in the spare room in one house, and added shelving of various depths above for paints, tools etc, with models on shelves on another wall.

Many ideas for this depending on your wallet, but I did as Terry suggested. 1.5 metres of melamine covered MDF/ chipboard. Mine was removed from an old kitchen. Cheap, easy and flat!

Another alternative is to find a second hand office furniture place and grab an old but good desk - or grab one from the local "trading post" paper. With a set of draws to hide all those kits you shouldn't have, from sight! :oops::shock::lol:

Hi, it's me. May I make a suggestion concerning the top of the bench. This may take some $$ so be prepared but in will insure a flat surface, glue and paint of all kinds comes up with a single edge razor blade and lasts forever provided you don't drop bowling balls on it. A sheet of glass. On my work bench which has your standard cabinets and drawers underneath I have laid a 3/16"x2.5ft.x10ft. sheet of glass on top of my work bench. Granted it wasn't cheap and I'm not expecting you to go out and grab something this size but a scaled down version might be just the ticket. I've built a number of 1/5th scale models and now that 1/9th scale B-17 directly on this glass surface. In fact you'll see later on how I'll do this with the horizontal tail section, rudder, and one outer wing panel literally tack glued to the surface.

Hi, it's me. May I make a suggestion concerning the top of the bench. This may take some $$ so be prepared but in will insure a flat surface, glue and paint of all kinds comes up with a single edge razor blade and lasts forever provided you don't drop bowling balls on it. A sheet of glass. On my work bench which has your standard cabinets and drawers underneath I have laid a 3/16"x2.5ft.x10ft. sheet of glass on top of my work bench. Granted it wasn't cheap and I'm not expecting you to go out and grab something this size but a scaled down version might be just the ticket. I've built a number of 1/5th scale models and now that 1/9th scale B-17 directly on this glass surface. In fact you'll see later on how I'll do this with the horizontal tail section, rudder, and one outer wing panel literally tack glued to the surface.

Sorry we cross posted good idea!

Harrison I agree with ozhawk40's post above. As long as you don't want to hammer nails into the desk there is no need to buy a new one. Personally I use the spacial mate for cutting to protect my desk.This is used for "light" works on models.For instance sanding of parts , comparinng to drawings , cementing parts together, also painting with brushes.The main thing is to keep the mat cleaned when working.Of course I use it as a background when cut ting but I always use a sheet of thick cardboard as an addition to that ( as the first background ).
For " heavy" works I use a piece of thick plywood ( you can see that in the pics) . This can be used for hammering , drilling , cutting , sawing, filing, painting etc......I always use a piece of wooden board in addition to that when hamering, drilling.

When working I have my tools and all "equipment" for modelling put around the working area.It allows me to have an easy access to all tools and things.

Attachments

• mata1.jpg
    mata1.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 105
  • mata sklej1.jpg
    mata sklej1.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 110
  • mata sklej1a.jpg
    mata sklej1a.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 109
  • mata sklej1b.jpg
    mata sklej1b.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 104
  • mata sklej1c.jpg
    mata sklej1c.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 94
  • mata sklej1d.jpg
    mata sklej1d.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 110
Thanks Wojtek, appreciate it. My mom though has given me a deadline to get all my modeling 'crap' in her words out of my room....... so my dad is asking me if I would like the extra room for modeling and of course I said yes. He told me to find a desk I like and he'll look into it. My basement is two parts. The basement itself and then the backroom.

And a comfy chair (not Monty Python's one!), preferably with castors, so you can wheel around to each work section !

Yep. Even simpler, go to the local DIY store, and get a length of Conti Board (melamine covered MDF, probably different brand names in the USA) to whatever size you want, and a couple of brackets and some 2 x2 timber. Make the table the size you want, screw it to the wall on the brackets and support it with legs made from the timber. This way, you could have an 'L' shape work space, 'U' shaped, any shape, any size, for less than the price of a cheap desk or table. And it'll clean easy too. That's what I did in the spare room in one house, and added shelving of various depths above for paints, tools etc, with models on shelves on another wall.

Terry, do you scratch build everything????? :lol:

No Jan it is not...:lol: It is a trace that has come into being when spraying the bottom hull of a battle ship model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back