No rest for the War Weary (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Here is another smaller project I've begun working on for my War Weary thread.

I originally wanted to build this next aircraft from an 1/72 Academy B-17F kit but I was hesitant about how to do the paint scheme. After much procrastination I've finally decided to give this a try but in the 1/144 scale. The subject this time is a B-17F from the 384BG of the 8th AF based at Grafton Underwood, and known as the "Spotted Cow".

SpottedCow2.jpg

SpottedCow.jpg

The kit

A B-17G from Crown

IMG_2314.jpg

IMG_2318.jpg

IMG_2317.jpg

IMG_2316.jpg

Assembly

IMG_2322.jpg

IMG_2319.jpg

One of the things I need to do is turn this G model into an F. Because of the scale there isn't much I'll have to do other then remove the chin turret and the cheek gun mounting points. This was done by filing off the body farring molded into the fuselage.

IMG_2323.jpg

IMG_2324.jpg

Next I have to fill the hole and blend in some two part putty.

IMG_2325.jpg

IMG_2326.jpg

IMG_2328.jpg

While the putty dries we have some time to add some historical information to the build with a couple of photos from the memorial at Grafton Underwood

memorialatGraftonUnderwood.jpg

This is one of the windows from a church near the site

memorialatGraftonUnderwood1.jpg

Thanks for looking

Good stuff Dirk. I'd guess the easiest way to do the colour scheme, would be to paint the model overall in the colour of the 'spots', then use circular self-adhesive labels to mask for the 'spots', and then spray the overall base colour.

This is an awesome theme Dirk. As a strict 1/48 modeller, I'm limited to space and funds, but I do have a couple of B-24's and a B-17 waiting to be started. I'll be following you to get some tips on the color schemes. Thanks.

Geo

Here's how i'm making the dot masks for the spotted cow. It's a manual and time consuming process. Here's how it works.

Using a circle template I have I choose the right hole for the job and mark it off so I don't loose track of it.

IMG_2416.jpg

I then cover the hole of choice with some modeling tape and press firmly.

IMG_2417.jpg

I place the circle template with the tape over the edge of some cardboard. The creates a space between the template and the cut free mat beneath.

Next find a center punch I have of the same diameter of the hole.

IMG_2418.jpg

Next with a quick sharp motion I shove the punch through the tape and the template.

IMG_2421.jpg

With a nice sharp blade I remove the new circle mask and apply it to the model

IMG_2424.jpg

IMG_2426.jpg

Some cleanup is usually required per dot as its not perfect but it should be close enough for this project.

IMG_2415.jpg

Well that's all for now. Time to go make some more dots

Users who are viewing this thread

Back