Nürnberg für Adler or anyone else

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yes that is the Palace at Wurzburg. My wifes goes to the University of Wurzberg. One of the top universities in Europe for Biology and stuff like that. The university is on the other side of the river from there and so are the US military posts including the headquarters for the 1st Infantry Division.

Speaking of Nurnberg though, I am going there this afternoon and I will ask my wife to take pictures from the car. Next weekend though I have to go to Nurnberg to buy a new suit and I we will be walking around and I can take better pictures.

Possibly next week I will be going to Wurzberg to check on some things there. If I go I will take some pics of the castle today. If I do not go, I can ask my wife to do so, since she goes there every day.

actually I am a bit surprised I got it right............
Adler yes bring on some pics please and whatever else.... :D

syscom3 said:
You guys are good!

Wurzburg is a quaint old town. I was on a business trip there, while the 3rd ID was based there.

Quaint old town? It is a rather large city actually. There are several hundred thousand people that live there now. Not the largest city compared to Stuttgart, Frankfurt, Munich, Hamburg, and Berlin but it is quite large.

Not a surprise that I knew what it is, I have been to Wurzburg about 100 times over the last 20 years and only live a 45 minute drive from there and go there quite often and fly there atleast once a week.

Yes we are a part of 1st Infantry Division and that is where the headquarters is, so whenever a General from the Division needs to go someplace which is all the time, we have to fly there to pick them up.

ah Würzburg has an interesting history and was about bombed out in the war along with Nürnberg which felt a nasty aerial engagement on the evening of March 16/17, 1945. A two issue article was written up by friend Rod McK. in fly Past on this with special emphasis on one German crew and one RAF Lancaster crew

I think Wurzburg was among the last of the larger cities in Germany to be bombed by the RAF. The hotel I stayed at had lots of pictures of the damage, all reffering to the bombing in Feb (maybe March) 1945.

Good thing the Festung (I believe its called Marienburg) was missed.

Adler, you ever go to the museum they have there? Lots of interesting medievel artifacts are on display there.

I enjoyed the German Beer. Not as good as a budweiser, but still tasty.

I really enjoyed walking around the old part of town. I think it was rebuilt after the war along its medeivel city plan.

I also discovered that German stores close early.

syscom3 said:
Good thing the Festung (I believe its called Marienburg) was missed.

Yes it is called the Marienburg and actually it was partially destroyed in the war. It had to be rebuilt. If you go there, they show the pictures of the partially destroyed palace and how they rebuilt it.

syscom3 said:
Adler, you ever go to the museum they have there? Lots of interesting medievel artifacts are on display there.

Yes I have been there, but not in a very long time. I go to the city all the time but have not been to the museum in quite some time.

syscom3 said:
I enjoyed the German Beer. Not as good as a budweiser, but still tasty.

LOL HA in your dreams! :lol:

syscom3 said:
also discovered that German stores close early.

That unfortunatly is true, but it is getting better now.

The US beers suck and that is a fact ! Budvar how interewsting........well everyone has different tastes I suppose.

Würzburg old city was lost at least 90 % in the attack on Nürnberg on march 16/17. 1945 in an area bombing losing some 5,000 souls there. Würzburg had literally no industry so the tactics upon that city are a bit confusing as to why. Nürnberg lost it's railway and gas works on this raid as an earlier raid completly took out the Alt Stadt back in the first week of janaury 45.

I do think info is available from the Stadt archiv's from both cities to the public if Adler has the time to investigate.

One of the worst raids though in regard to losses for the RAF bombers in 1945 with 30 shot down

E

Yes both Wurzberg and Nurnberg were bombed to almost nothing. Wurzberg myself I do not understand why, except maybe to shock and demoralize the people. The only reason I can think of is the fact that there were military instillations in the city. The 2 biggest however the Wehrmacht hospital and the airfield on top of the hill were virtually untouched. The Hospital is a US Army hospital today and the airfield is now the really large military installation that houses the 1st Infantry Division Headquarters.

I doubt anytime in the near future would I have time to seavh the Stadt Achives.

Adler make a phone call esepcially to Nürnberg to see if they are open to the public ? Becaue of your standings in the US military you maybe to get better and faster access to them even by postal than say myself that would have to go through numerous channels being based in the states

E

I am actually sure the archives of the cities are open to the public. I will check and see, but I am not sure when I will have time to go and check them out.

Adler I would be most interested and also if the local papers were up and running coering the devastating raid in march 45 ? Getting a copy made of that would be quite something take pics though when you are there and one of the those small fancy lebkuchen tins :D

I have a mpa of the raid somewhere in my files and the downings somewhat marked or indicated by the German nf crews. quite an extensive battle oer many miles of territory

Users who are viewing this thread

Back