Nürnberg für Adler or anyone else (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ok something more in tune with what is going outside in the hills ......

Attachments

• 6jan1012_121.jpg
    6jan1012_121.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 302
Gnomey your last pic is looking off the Marien bridge that I mentioned.

the grotto is actually in his other place of residing or so it was said, Linderhof which is actually somewhat around the corner of the road in the Graswang valley. also in the Graswang valley a ways is his fathers Jagdhaus. Ludwig was not mad at all unless you call someone that spent the peoples monies in hordes for these lavish places. Excentric, nah, gay, yes he was but had an eye for oppulance.

If you ever take a visit make sure it is quite lenghty as Adler can confess, your eyes will pop out at all the richness of the German Baroque period outside and within the many Schloss and Catholic churches. the Luftmaleri on the outside of many, many of the upper Bayerische towns, Oberammergau and Garmsich of note. If I get the chance I am coming back..........

We spent the whole day there before heading back over the border to Austria. If you are in the area, it is well worth a visit if only to see the richness and oppulance of the place. If I was in the area again I would probably visit again.

did you by chance go into the old walled city of Füssen before heading into Austria ? I know one thing I am packing my road bike with me as the Alpenstrasse needs a good going over by me, maybe Ramsau and Oberstorf, actually all through Bavarian countryside would be fine with me, tour buses or not

have you been to Mittenwald ? outrageous is all I can say ! anyway heading south and east on the main hwy to the Mondsee which is neat, look up the hills for some wonderful old castles and the little town of Ratenberg famous for it's crystal carvings. We picked up some wonderful items here - cut glass, but never had the cahnce to see the castle fortress overlooking the small town

go back if you can E

Well, I will try, sounds pretty cool. Germany is one of the places I will have a look at for skiing at the end of January (some of the best snow conditions in Europe at the moment plus the fact it is easy enough to get too). The downside is I don't speak German (did French at school) but I'm sure I will manage.

Erich that picture from the early 1900's in Nurnberg. That part of the town is still standing and looking the same. I believe thought that it was rebuilt after the war brand new because just about all of Nurnberg was destroyed in WW2. I should be going there on Saturday hopefully (weather permitting of course) and I will try and take some pics like I said.

As for the Neuschwanstein Castle I have some good pics of it somewhere. I live only about 2 1/2 to 3 hours from it and have been there many times. I have some good aerial photos somwhere when we flew down there.

Yes, I remember that very clearly, although I was 7. I remember that I rode a donkey uphill towards the castle and I remember those canons in the walls.
Fantastic place!

as you can see although we get a bit older the old buildings don't change, the scenery on the other hand does and will ........ the revamping on that wall does not look like fun with some pretty shky looking scafolding

Yes Erich, I assume it was under reconstruction when we were there so we weren't able to go inside.
I noticed the fact that on both pix it looks same.

Not all buildings look the same though.

For example, there is one church in Prague, called Emauzy. It was hit during an Ally B-17 B-24 air raid on Prague on 1st May 1945. The main tower was broken so it was restored inna different shape... Surprisignly... Most of the historical heritage was completely (literally) demolished by the Red criminals........

Attachments

• emauzy_188.jpg
    emauzy_188.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 188
  • emauzy_nyni_671.jpg
    emauzy_nyni_671.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 206
  • emausy_bomba1_125.jpg
    emausy_bomba1_125.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 227
interesting roof configuration Pisis.

yes I remember touring the Alt stadt of Wien back in 1980, much of it was of course rebuilt, the Dom with a new roof. Was able to view old pics of the devastation during the US bombings and then finally the worthless revengeful Soviet artillery bombardments. Sad, but still that old plans of the facdes had not been burned so the locals were able to rebuild. Same for Dresden with the dedication of the Frauenkirche this past year.

I've been to Wien this year. A very nice city. Just one day though, so we didn't see that much......

Lets see if anyone who lives in Germany, or has traveled there can guess the location of this "Festung".

I visited it back in 1988.

Attachments

• cc_423.jpg
    cc_423.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 164
  • bb_236.jpg
    bb_236.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 143
  • aa_113.jpg
    aa_113.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 139

Users who are viewing this thread