Obama election spurs race crimes around country (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I think the war of 1812 was a technical victory for the U.S., since we managed to clear the British out of the states and have them agree to leave our shipping alone...

But in WWII, I'm thinking that we were on the same side...:lol:

I think the war of 1812 was a technical victory for the U.S., since we managed to clear the British out of the states and have them agree to leave our shipping alone...

May be he was refering to the Secession War ? I think I heard somewhere that the British were helping the rebels "from under the table"... Giving them weapons and ammos.

But I could be wrong. My knowledge of that war is rather limited.

Suggest you check that out ....your main goal was the taking of your northern neighbour

Suggest you check that out ....your main goal was the taking of your northern neighbour
There was no "Northern Neighbor" during that period.

"The land occupied by Canada was inhabited for millennia by various aboriginal peoples. Beginning in the late 15th century, British and French expeditions explored and later settled the Atlantic coast. France ceded nearly all of its colonies in North America in 1763 after the Seven Years' War. In 1867, with the union of three British North American colonies through Confederation, Canada was formed as a federal dominion of four provinces. This began an accretion of additional provinces and territories and a process of increasing autonomy from the United Kingdom, highlighted by the Statute of Westminster in 1931, and culminating in the Canada Act in 1982 which severed the vestiges of legal dependence on the British parliament."

In a brief summary of the war of 1812:

One of the main reasons why we went to war with Britain in 1812, was that the British were seizing American merchant ships and impressing the crews.

In the years leading up to 1812, the British declared that any American merchant ships trading in "enemy" ports were subject to seizure. And the British did just this on many occasions. This eventually escalated into the declaration of war by the United States in 1812.

As far as the war itself went, it was fairly even as far as victories and losses by both sides until Jackson routed the British forces during the battle of New Orleans.

Just before the battle of New Orleans, diplomats drew up the Treaty of Ghent were both sides agreed to return to the status quo from before the war. I think this was in early 1815...

It's been a while since I studied the War of 1812, so my recollections are a bit dusty :)

posting wwii as the second british loss to the us is a bit ironic.....

I dont think the war was a british or american loss...it was a victory for the allies and the soviets. However the "peace" that followed combined with the terms of lend lease (basically in 1941 the brits had to prove they were completely out of cash to convince a reluctant congress to the bill) was an unmitigated disaster for british power and influence. britain was painted as the epitomy of colonialism, and all that was bad with that creed.

Under-financed, and facing huge prejudices because of that colonial past, british industry and commerce took a nose dive in the post wwii world, from which it has never recovered.

There is your lasting defeat

In a brief summary of the war of 1812:

One of the main reasons why we went to war with Britain in 1812, was that the British were seizing American merchant ships and impressing the crews.

In the years leading up to 1812, the British declared that any American merchant ships trading in "enemy" ports were subject to seizure. And the British did just this on many occasions. This eventually escalated into the declaration of war by the United States in 1812.

As far as the war itself went, it was fairly even as far as victories and losses by both sides until Jackson routed the British forces during the battle of New Orleans.

Just before the battle of New Orleans, diplomats drew up the Treaty of Ghent were both sides agreed to return to the status quo from before the war. I think this was in early 1815...

It's been a while since I studied the War of 1812, so my recollections are a bit dusty :)

Thanks for the info

Until now I had no idea of what sparked the War

I don't like Obama's politics, but I pray he doesn't stop a bullet. It would be a disaster for the US, showing the world that we're an immature, violence-prone country.

CD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back