O'Hare Wildcat

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Tobarghe

Airman
May 11, 2007
Reno, NV
After being "let go" from a local sign company a month before Christmas, I decided to do a profile of a Grumman F4F-3 Wildcat in between job hunting activities. It is based on a B&W photo of Lt. O'Hare in the cockpit of a F4F-3 (about 1942) with F-3 on the fuselage. I used the Adobe CS suite on a Mac with OS X. This is what will be the first (hopefully) of many computer profiles
Thank you,
Edward Grabot
[email protected]

References:
Warpaint Series #9 Grumman F4F Wildcat
Kagero #12 Grumman F4F Wildcat
Monografie Lotnicze #20 F4F Wildcat
Squardon/Signal Publications US Navy Aircraft Camouflage Markings 1940-1945
Wings Volume 2, Number 1 February 1972
Modelpres Grumman Wildcat Profily letadel ll. svetove valky 9
And a special thanks to Dave Greene for
Janes Publishing Company Limited Hellcat
Osprey Aircraft of the Aces #3 wildcat Ace Of World War II

Attachments

• Phil_F4F_3_ohare.jpg
    Phil_F4F_3_ohare.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 462
Yah
Last one on...first one off! That sort of thing. I'll try to post more as they come available
Thank you

The undercarriage and prop detailing are excellent! :shock:

Good work all round, just one slight niggle - the aerial wire does not seem to join on to anything...?

I'm not sure How you are viewing the profile..it may be hard to see at different screen specifications (640x480, 1280x960, etc.), but the tip of the aerial mast is painted white, the mast is made from wood. There is a glass insulator (looks like a white dot) below the top left edge of the "3" in the code "F-3" on the fuselage. The aerial wire passes through this insulator to the radio equipment inside of the fuselage.
Thanks for the kind comments
Edward Grabot

Nice profile. Good luck with the the job hunting. The same thing happened to me last July after 17 years. After walking the streets knocking on doors I managed to get another job after 3 weeks. Best thing that happened to me but scared the cr*p out me at first.

Might be worth posting on:-

Military-Meshes.com

Roman,
Thank you for the kind words. I think I will work on Swede's plane. I have 1 reference on that aircraft (which is a -4 Wildcat,circa 1942) so I'll have to modify wings, cowling, pitot...etc.
Edward Grabot

Thank you,
I really enjoyed doing this profile.
Edward Grabot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back