P-40 Twin

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'm stuck working nights this week so was able to get some more done today.

First thing this morning I glued the engines to the wing being careful the alignment was just right

Way back when I started this project Terry (Airframes) was kind enough to send me a couple of 1/32ns scale P-51 drop tanks.
Thanks again Terry .

In this picture I've pried one apart and cut up one of the halves. The back portion will be used for the upper portion of one of the nacelles wile the forward portion will be used along with another forward portion to form the fuselage gun nose.

In this last picture I've glued on the upper nacelle for the right side engine after a lot of filing to make it fit the curve of the wing. Not perfect, but close enough to fix with some filling.

That's it for now.

The Nuke from Revell/Monograms F-84F kit which I will use for the gun nose. Its a bit too narrow but I will quarter it and glue shims in to bring it to the right width and height. Shown above it in the picture is the forward half of the tank I cut up and used the rear half for the upper nacelles. I had intended to use it for the nose as its the right width but I thought it was a bit too bulbous and that the Nuke will give it a more streamlined look.

Some other bits and pieces from the spares box I'll be using to make up the nacelles and nose. At the top, the 4 closed bomb bay doors from a 1/72nd Minicraft B-24 kit. Bottom left, the underside nose from the Airfix 1/48th Seafire kit, and bottom right, the cut out pieces from the wheel wells of the Williams Bros C-46 I recently finished.

Here I have cut the forward portion of the F-84F Nuke off, split the halves down the middle and glued them back together to form the top and bottom of the nose with the back end the same width at the P-40 fuselage at the firewall. The gap will be filled in and these two pieces joined together to leave the same height as the firewall.

Here's the wing with both nacells glued on

And lastly the bottom of the wing/engine assembly with the rear portion of the F-84F nuke laid out in the position of the lower nacelles. I will use them for the basic structure of the nacelles with wheel well holes cut out of them, the rear pointed blunted, and quite a lot of build up between them and the wing

Just a thought: The original photo shows the two engines higher; this is likely because they were also P-40 fuselages. I think the original was made from three aircraft, and they used the original wing mountings for both engines and for the central fuselage. The only "new" parts would be the aft end of the engine nacelles, the center wing sections with flat dihedral, and the front of the central fuselage. They would use the outer wing panels with the knuckles removed and the wheel wells fared over. The advantages: short main landing gear, use of existing structure, slightly bigger wing area compared to mounting engines on a stock wingspan.

EDIT: it looks like the did NOT use the stock outer wings as the flaps outside the engine nacelles is too small for that.

Can't wait to see your finished model!

I think they just mounted the engines on the existing wing and built the nacelles out of sheet metal. I made changes to my design to correct what I thought were obvious weaknesses such as mounting the engines lower on the wing to increase side visibly and to move the landing gear attachment point from the original position to the nacelles. This is discussed in great detail in the early posts.

More work done. The nose is starting to take shape.

Last edited:
For what its worth, I can remember that this a/c was discussed years ago on a long dead American Aircraft forum , back in the 1990's,name forgotten.
It was said that the a/c was assembled by members of a Groups workshop so as to help single engined pilots to acclimatise themselves with the use of a twin engined a/c as they were about to acquire or be transferred to the "new" Lightning Squadrons. The a/c was for taxiing only, never flew.

Hello Charles,
Just to make it clear for me.
Is the twin Texan a model or a real aircraft ?
To me the picture looks to show a fullsized Texan.
Thanks
Alex

Users who are viewing this thread