P-40 Twin (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It's finally done and its been a long time coming from when I first started thinking about this project .
In the November 1995 issue of Scale Modeler Magazine there was an article about a conversion like this and I started thing about doing it myself. Jump ahead five or six years when I acquired the two Heller kits to do it. Those kits sat in my stash waiting, being pulled down and looked at from time to time as I thought about starting the project, until I finally did in September 2013. By that time I had decided to it in 1/48th scale instead of the 1/72nd scale of the Heller kits, but thought it would be a good idea to start with the Heller kits to make sure I could do it before I went and cut up two I/48 AMT kits. The 1/72nd version took me six months to complete and I decided to take a break before starting the 1/48th version.
That break turned into five years when a little over a year ago I started cutting up the AMT kits.

Well here it is, 25 years from conception to finished model. That has got to be some king of record!

View attachment 613536View attachment 613537View attachment 613538View attachment 613539View attachment 613540View attachment 613541View attachment 613542View attachment 613543View attachment 613544View attachment 613545View attachment 613546View attachment 613547View attachment 613548View attachment 613549View attachment 613550View attachment 613551View attachment 613552View attachment 613553View attachment 613554
We finally get to see what the front of that airplane looks like. Very impressive work.

Just a thought................

I started with a P-47N which has a greater wingspan, then added an additional 1/2 fuselage width to each wing.
The landing gear is taller of course and I figure there's plenty of room for the turbos in those big nacelles even with the gear leg. Guns would be 6 .50s and 2 cannon in the nose.

Now as far as building it, it would make the P-40 look simple. I can't just mount the nacelles on the existing wing like I did with the P-40 because I have to increase the wing span, which also causes problems with the plan of the trailing edge. And I don't have a clue what I could use to build the nacelles or the gun nose out of.

Well, its something to think about anyway. :-k

P-47N Twin Long Span resized.jpg

Stick the wings off an F7F on it. Either that or use the nacelles off a B-25 and be satisfied with two R-2600 for powerplants, which sounds a bit more reasonable.

I plan to use an engine nacelle off an AMT 1/48 F7F to make the forward cowling for an XP-72. I am trying to decide whether to use a Hawk 1/48 P-47D or a Monogram 1/48 P-47N. According to Warren Bodie, the production P-72 likely would have used a P-47N airframe, which sounds logical.

As for the twin P-40, two V-1710's would have been outrageous and unworkable. Maybe twin V-770's would have fit. Or maybe something more exotic? See below.

SunFun06 016.jpg

I can't just mount the nacelles on the existing wing like I did with the P-40 because I have to increase the wing span, which also causes problems with the plan of the trailing edge. And I don't have a clue what I could use to build the nacelles or the gun nose out of.
Nose of the F4U-4, with it's 'beard' intake?
Gun nose - from a B-25 gunship?

The early model. Just for the shape in profile of the B-24's nose and the one in T Bolt's illustration. That's as close as I can get. Tomo's mention of the B-25 nose got me thinking about it. I'm new at this.

You can buy an Accurate Miniatures 1/48 B-25G gun nose with 75MM gun on ebay for about $4. Actually, I think a Mosquito FBVI gun nose would be better.

I saw in a modeling magazine many years ago where someone scratchbuilt a P-40 twin. Laudable efffort, but he did a terrible job on the nose.

Whatever I did for the nacelles it would have to fit P-47 cowls. I want it to keep that distinctive Thunderbolt look from the front.
I kind of like the idea of B-24 nose. I may have one from an old Revell 1/72nd Liberator in my spares box and if the size was reasonable I could use bits of left over P-40 fuselage to connect it to the P-47 fuselage,. A lot of CA, filing and paint and I'd have a gun nose.

Tubro is would be in the nacelles similar to the B-29 but only one turbo per engine.
The pivot for the landing gear would be in the structure of the wing but would extend through the nacelle with a 4 section gear well cover. 1 part covering the lower wheel hinged to the wing root like the original. A second section covering the upper wheel would be a shorter version of the original attached to the gear leg.
The 3rd and 4th sections would be a hinged clamshell covering the gear leg opening in the nacelle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back