P-51 accident at OshKosh

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This is really sad, not only for the warbirds lost but for the families as well. My condolences to all the families though I understand it might be one. That hurts even more.

You have the wrong Precious Metal. Sadly this was Precious Metal II

Are you sure, the mustang at the EAA did NOT say Precious Metal II. As of yesterday that was the only one I saw there. How do you tell the difference?

Attachments

• Scan0002.JPG
    Scan0002.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 288
Unless Precious Metal II has the green wings too, then the picture that Micdrow posted is the right one. The news pages have a particularly disturbing photo of the accident. Fox news had it on their page an hour or so ago. You could clearly see the bright green of the wing's underside.

Precious Metal is a Reno Racer with a Rolls Royce Gryphon engine and contra-rotating propellers.
Precious Metal II, which crashed at Oshkosh, was a P-51A or an A-36 painted to look like The Reno Racer for the Movie "Thunder over Reno" complete with green wings.

Since the media has already reported on this, the pilot that was killed was Gerry Beck. I personally didn;t know him, but know of his work in the warbird community. He will be sorely missed. Our thoughts and prayers got out to the Beck family and the friends of Gerry.

Those photos are awesome. Would you believe there was nothing at all
in the Virginian Pilot, the newspaper for all of the five cities of Hampton
Roads ?

Charles

hate to add to this but with the crash at Dayton OH today, well Aviation overall is getting a butt kicking extreme ~ what a mess, remember the airliner recently with all those poor lives gone ........... !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back