Passenger jet shot down over Ukraine

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I've heared of more than 9 British and 23 American ... but who knows really, this informational mess atm really doesnt help.

Sickens me when stuff like this happens. 298 people dead at the hands of a missile they didn't even see coming.
My condolences to the families and friends of everyone aboard.

Last edited:
27 australians were on board that flight. Putin is saying its the fault of the ukrainian government, I presume because they allowed civilian traffic over what the separatists view as a war zone. the separatists have been claiming this as a no fly zone for weeks, and some airlines have been routing flights around the region, though Ive also seen some Civil Aviation reports that was safe to overfly.

The BUK system is basically an SA11 with updated electronics. importantly it has IFF control systems that the operators either did not know how to use, or chose to ignore and shot the aircraft dowen deliberately. Accidents do happen, as the shooting down of that Iranian airliner by a US missile demonstrates, but it certainly looks like a deliberate act of bastardry.

In my opinion, the international borders to Russia should be closed, and a complete embargo on their oil and gas sales imposed. this would cause a lot of pain in Europe, but it would also bring Ruussia to its knees very quickly. The germans, in particular, will never have the b*lls to do that.

The airspace above 32,000ft was deemed safe for overflight.

If the target aircraft isn't transmitting anything, then would an IFF system work?

The amount of casualties is higher now, not 295, but 298. The last three were babies who didn't have their own seat. :( US confirms a missile launch.
Stupid Putin and Ukraine gouvernment and the Ukraine separatists are making this into a political game. Will not give them any more credit I guess.

Casualtilist, source Maleisia airlines

Nederland 154
Maleisië 45 ( 15 crew 2 baby's)
Australia 27
Indonesia 12 ( 1 baby)
Great Britain 9
Germany 4
Belgium 4
Filipines 3
Canada 1
Unidentified: 41
Total 298

Thoughts go out to all who lost their loved ones. :(

Last edited:
They're saying everything at the moment, let's wait first.

More important: many Dutch casualties. At this moment I heard a number of 60 Dutch, but possibly many more :( hundreds of people died here, from many countries. Rip and all thoughts goes to the people left behind.

Adding to the tragedy, I just heard about a hundred passengers were HIV/AIDS researchers, which is significant portion ofthat community.

For yet another example of Putin's perfidy, he's saying it's Ukraine's fault, as it happened over their territory. The same territory that he's making sure that Ukraine can't control. Maybe he didn't pull the trigger, but he's armed the separatists, used his military to prevent Ukraine from dealing with them, and he has been their biggest cheerleader.

I normally try to maintain a neutral mental position when I see the horrid tragedy that is our world. However, it might be quite enjoyable to hold Putin down, feed him 20 bowls of flaming hot Texas chili, lock him in a portapotty, then wait for the launch of the "Pootin Putin".

Hartmann52, we all mourn the dead from such inhuman actions. Your English is 1000% better than my Ukrainian as I only speak English and very little German plus a few Mexican obscenities. My prayers for your nation and your people.

at6, thank you. Russian its actions reaffirmed old, folk truth: a true friend is known in trouble.
Only the price for the reminder this time a very large...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back