Peter O’Toole, Star of ‘Lawrence of Arabia,’ Is Dead at 81

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Njaco

The Pop-Tart Whisperer
Feb 19, 2007
Southern New Jersey
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/16/movies/peter-otoole-lawrence-of-arabia-is-dead-at-81.html?_r=0

Peter O'Toole, an Irish bookmaker's son with a hell-raising streak whose magnetic performance in the 1962 epic film "Lawrence of Arabia" earned him overnight fame and put him on the road to becoming one of his generation's most accomplished and charismatic actors, died on Saturday in London. He was 81.

A blond, blue-eyed six-footer, Mr. O'Toole had the dashing good looks and high spirits befitting a leading man, — and he did not disappoint in "Lawrence," David Lean's wide-screen, almost-four-hour homage to T. E. Lawrence, the daring British soldier and adventurer who led an Arab rebellion against the Turks in the Middle East in World War I.

The performance brought Mr. O'Toole the first of eight Academy Award nominations, a flood of film offers and a string of artistic successes in the '60s and early '70s. In the theater — he was a classically trained actor — he played an anguished, angular tramp in Beckett's "Waiting for Godot" and a memorably battered title character in Chekhov's "Uncle Vanya." In film, he twice played a robust King Henry II: first opposite Richard Burton in "Becket" (1964), then with Katharine Hepburn as his queen in "The Lion in Winter" (1968). Both earned Oscar nominations for Best Actor, as did his repressed, decaying schoolmaster in "Goodbye, Mr. Chips" in 1970 and the crazed 14th Earl of Gurney in "The Ruling Class" in 1973.

He also starred in one of the coolest airplane movies ever... 'Murphy's War"

Murphy's War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

E2BWG00Z.jpg
photo-La-Guerre-de-Murphy-Murphy-s-War-1971-1.jpg

Sad to see him go, but I'll admit, I thought he was older than 81.
So he was only 30 when he made 'Lawrence', an epic movie, not to be missed. And 'Murphy's War', from what I remember, was a great movie too.

He was first and foremost a great actor.

His performance in 'Lawrence of Arabia' prompted Olivier to comment that had he been any more beautiful he would have been a girl. That may say more about Olivier than O'Toole :)

Cheers

Steve

Not too surprising that the Duck was maneuverable since it is basically a "Fifi" or Grumman FF-1 fighter with a Loening-style shoehorn float added.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back